Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: AAAAAHHH!! Mercer v. Case? CHOICES?!  (Read 701 times)

Netopalis

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - troop85eagle
    • View Profile
AAAAAHHH!! Mercer v. Case? CHOICES?!
« on: February 19, 2009, 06:07:19 PM »
Haldo,
   So, I'm all set to go to Mercer next year, when I open my inbox and get an offer from Case Western Reserve...Shockingly enough, they're offering me 22k per year, renewable without a GPA requirement.  I already have a full ride offer from Mercer, and am interviewing for their Woodruff Scholarship (an extra 5k per year) next week.

My goals:
   My three possible end goals are to become a legislator, a judge or a law professor.  Each of these would be considered well after law school - most likely about 10-15 years after practicing.  Initially, I would like to work in either Internet/IP law or as a criminal prosecutor.  I do have a billable hour limit - I'd really rather not work for a biglaw firm.  What would YOU do?
Mercer University School of Law '12

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: AAAAAHHH!! Mercer v. Case? CHOICES?!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 06:18:05 PM »
I don't know much about Mercer, but I would choose Case. But, I guess it depends on where you want to live. I visited Case last fall and I loved it. The job prospects are very good for a T2. The building and the University Circle neighborhood are really nice.   

menlow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 07:17:12 PM »
for info on Mercer check out this thread:

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,4017048.0.html

a woodruff scholarship would be nice..

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 11:08:28 PM »
The no-GPA-req thing at Case sounds very nice.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

Netopalis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 11:29:23 PM »
Same deal at Mercer, though - no required GPA.

redcement

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 04:41:00 PM »
Hi Netopalis...

You helped me a few months back with a roguh ps. I rememmber from that child board that you were VERY happy with the idea of Mercer. It sounds like they are happy with you too. What's the dilemma?

I interned with a judge last year....he did not go to a very prestigious school. He is a member of the Democratic Party who has a JD, a stable family, an outgoing personality, and a strong network of well-off friends. He talked to every person registered to vote in his district. He made it sound like walking his lab in the local parade got him more votes than anything else.

Good luck whatever you decide!

Netopalis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 06:04:08 PM »
The only thing that frightens me is job prospects....That being said, you do have a good point.  Most voters simply don't care about which law school the person they are voting for went to.  I think that the prosecutor positions would similarly not care - the US DOJ Honors program hired Mercer graduates last year...So I guess I'm still leaning towards Mercer.