Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Brooklyn or Washington & Lee  (Read 1753 times)

sapereaude2012

• 162/3.8
    • View Profile
Re: Brooklyn or Washington & Lee
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 07:50:46 PM »
Wanna work in NY? Pick Brooklyn. Otherwise, go for W & L. 

Word. But as soundsgood mentioned earlier, W&L places well in NYC. IF Brooklyn won't match the offer, it would be a pretty tough choice. Did you apply to Cardozo?

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 08:13:57 PM »
Wanna work in NY? Pick Brooklyn. Otherwise, go for W & L. 

Word. But as soundsgood mentioned earlier, W&L places well in NYC. IF Brooklyn won't match the offer, it would be a pretty tough choice. Did you apply to Cardozo?

Yeah. W&L places well in NY, but Brooklyn holds it down in it's own city; it's more "plugged in" than W&L.

TheIllogicalReasoner

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 12:08:37 AM »
I did not apply to Cordozo, had to narrow down the apps list and it got cut last minute.  I did apply to Fordham and NYU.  Im hoping to get into Fordham which I think would take both these schools off the table; NYU obviously is much harder to predict, fingers crossed but Im not exactly looking for apartments in the village.  Basically Im trying to gauge choices as they come in, hoping that my questions will help others on the board in the mean time.

I am VERY interested in NYC, D.C. after that and I am VERY interested in public interest or D.A. work.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 12:31:01 AM »
I did not apply to Cordozo, had to narrow down the apps list and it got cut last minute.  I did apply to Fordham and NYU.  Im hoping to get into Fordham which I think would take both these schools off the table; NYU obviously is much harder to predict, fingers crossed but Im not exactly looking for apartments in the village.  Basically Im trying to gauge choices as they come in, hoping that my questions will help others on the board in the mean time.

I am VERY interested in NYC, D.C. after that and I am VERY interested in public interest or D.A. work.

Why did you narrow down the list? Just curious.

TheIllogicalReasoner

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 06:38:52 PM »
Oh just money reasons.  My original list was much too long, app fees got out of hand.  I narrowed it from something ridiculous like 20 to a more reasonable 12.  Dozo, American I cut for being too safe (I know Brooklyn is lower ranked but its connection to the DA won out) Berkeley because I didn't think I had an excellent chance of getting in with its emphasis on GPA (my LSAT is better than my GPA) and couldn't bring myself to cut other dream (though even less realistic) schools.  And a few others.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 12:29:53 AM »

If you want to work in NYC and you want to do public interest work, it will be far easier to make connections and get valuable clinical experience from Brooklyn, IMO.  Get your full ride and come to BLS already!
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

NYC3L

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 09:38:38 PM »

NYC DA work is definitely doable from BLS, Fordham and W&L. Obviously, Brooklyn and Fordham place very well, though new york DA's offices tend to cast wide nets and hire from a lot of schools. It's really a lot less where you go and more what you do to prepare (internships, clinics, term-time externships, etc). It's generally easy to do if you're already in NYC, but if you get good experiences elsewhere it won't hurt you in the long run