Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Brooklyn or Washington & Lee  (Read 1750 times)

TheIllogicalReasoner

• View Profile
Brooklyn or Washington & Lee
« on: February 19, 2009, 03:39:02 PM »
Does Brooklyn's NYC location or anything else outweigh the lower ranking?

Also I have a 30,000 per year merit at Washington and Lee, haven't heard about money yet from brooklyn

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Brooklyn or Washington & Lee
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 03:59:56 PM »
W&L, even if price were the same.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 08:33:57 PM »
W&L...not even a contest. The cost of living difference essentially makes the W&L scholarship 35-40K a year. Did you apply to better schools like Vanderbilt and the rest of the Top 14? I'd think with 30K a year at W&L you'd have an outside shot at GULC, Cornell, etc.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 02:21:46 PM »

Also I have a 30,000 per year merit at Washington and Lee, haven't heard about money yet from brooklyn

If you have a $30K merit scholarship at W&L, you will probably end up with a full ride, perhaps even with housing, at Brooklyn.  Assuming the costs are equal or Brooklyn is cheaper, I think this is a much tougher choice than the other commenters.  If you want to work in NYC or you are interested in public service, Brooklyn may be a better choice. 

Also, these two schools and their cities (er, locations) have very different feels.  You should really try to visit if you can.  I know people say that you should base your choice primarily on ranking and job prospects, but your job prospects at these schools will depend much more on how you do than on the schools' names, alumni networks, and career services people.  You will do better (and more) in a place where you feel comfortable and happy.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 02:34:52 PM »

If you have a $30K merit scholarship at W&L, you will probably end up with a full ride, perhaps even with housing, at Brooklyn.  Assuming the costs are equal or Brooklyn is cheaper, I think this is a much tougher choice than the other commenters.  If you want to work in NYC or you are interested in public service, Brooklyn may be a better choice. 

Also, these two schools and their cities (er, locations) have very different feels.  You should really try to visit if you can.  I know people say that you should base your choice primarily on ranking and job prospects, but your job prospects at these schools will depend much more on how you do than on the schools' names, alumni networks, and career services people.  You will do better (and more) in a place where you feel comfortable and happy.

I would agree with this. I was basing my previous statement on no scholarship at Brooklyn. See what they give you and consider your goals, the cities, etc.

TheIllogicalReasoner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 12:09:22 PM »
Thanks for the responses.

I live just outside NYC right now, I love the city and would enjoy living there.  Also I am interested in Public Interest (and DA work in NYC, which I hear recruits from Brooklyn often)

I have applied to the T-14, and still hope to get into GULC, Cornell or higher, but have not heard back from them.

As it stands I would have to take $$ and rank at W & L, but if Brooklyn comes back with a boatload of cash I might just see the light.

AmyWaxFanClubPresident

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 12:27:34 PM »
Impossible to say without knowing what Brooklyn is going to give you.  If you are really partial to NYC, then I don't know if I agree with people that you should go to W&L even if price is the same.  Also, since you are interested in PI/Gov't work, money should be a focal point for you.  Do you have any thoughts on DC?

I live just outside NYC right now, I love the city and would enjoy living there.  Also I am interested in Public Interest (and DA work in NYC, which I hear recruits from Brooklyn often)

I have applied to the T-14, and still hope to get into GULC, Cornell or higher, but have not heard back from them.

As it stands I would have to take $$ and rank at W & L, but if Brooklyn comes back with a boatload of cash I might just see the light.
"This semester I will plunge you into the slough of despair, and when you are at your most desolate and are ready to give up, I will give you some light" - Professor Amy Wax

soundsgood

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 01:38:04 PM »
I've said this before, but W&L is pretty underrated for New York.  Top 30% got New York Biglaw pretty easily in fall OCI, even in this economy.  However, if DA/Public Interest is your thing, it might be advantageous to be in the NYC area for externships, etc.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 05:27:02 PM »

Yeah, there are lots of DAs in the city (all boroughs) from BLS.  You can do clinics at the US Attorney's office and at the Brooklyn and Manhattan DA, both trial and appeals.  It's a good place if this is what you want to do.

Let the Brooklyn admissions people know about your scholarship offer.  They will at least match.  I've never seen them do less for a scholarship offer from a higher-ranked school. 
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 04:14:14 PM »
Wanna work in NY? Pick Brooklyn. Otherwise, go for W & L.