Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Accepted to Temple University Beasley School of Law!  (Read 2088 times)

espanol

• View Profile
Accepted to Temple University Beasley School of Law!
« on: February 19, 2009, 03:08:18 PM »
Hello Fellow Law School Enthusiasts,

So I got into Temple University the other day, and was somewhat surprised by my admission (LSAT 155 - GPA 3.4) being that my LSAT score did not fall within their range. 

That being said, I am absolutely stoked about this acceptance, but being that I am from Southern California, I have never been to Philadelphia and I am clueless on the job market, culture, and more specifically the advantages of relocating to Philadelphia.  My initial research on Philly shows lower cost of living, and lower average tuition for Temple, but any other thoughts from students currently attending Temple of that live in Philly?  Also, any insight on the job market in Philadelphia and/or nearby New York?  Your thoughts...

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Accepted to Temple University Beasley School of Law!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 11:09:54 PM »
Philadelphia is awesome. But you need to think about where you want to live/practice more permanently before you decide where to go to school. If you want to be in SoCal, Temple is probably not your best bet.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 12:32:17 PM »
I attend Temple and live in Philly.

You're right to say that Temple is less expensive than other alternatives. One can also live inexpensively in the city, unless one's determined to live in Rittenhouse or Society Hill.

Anyhoo.

Jobs: Well, the job market is in the crapper everywhere, and Philly's no different. City budgetary constraints have dropped new govt hires (in legal positions) to near zero or zero, and some firms are hiring smaller classes or letting more tenured associates go.  Many get frightened by this, but it's all a matter of perspective. There are legal jobs to be had; one merely need lower his expectations and he'll likely find what he needs, even if it's not what he wants.  I will say that Temple offers some useful assistance through our career services folks. The door always remains open for job counseling, no matter what the market. A minority of students obtain positions outside Philadelphia in NY, NJ, DE, and "everywhere else."

Culture: The culture in Philly is food and drink, mostly. We have great places to hang for cheap beer and karaoke as well as high end joints (that one probably can't afford as a student anyway). Great ethnic food, the cheesesteak, and more snack food per capita than any other place on earth. We've got all the historical jazz, theaters, and a great selection of museums, too.

Student Life: I could be wrong, but I think the students at Temple are more friendly and welcoming than at some other law schools. It wasn't hard to find a group I felt comfortable with and have fun with. The faculty are generally very approachable, which helps. The administration and financial aid, though with their hiccups given the size of the university, is also approachable and helpful.

On the whole, I couldn't have picked a better school for me. Temple is more diverse in age and race than many other schools, too, which is really nice. I don't feel as cloistered there as I might at other schools.

Oh, and Temple just raised its curve to a 3.05 from a 2.85, so that it'd more in line with the schools in our area ( I think that's the reason). Doesn't help me (3L), but it's not a bad deal; more folks get to slap their GPAs on resumes now, I gather.

espanol

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 06:08:41 PM »
Awesome feedback likewise, it definitely gives me a little more perspective on everything.  I just have to do some soul searching on where I want to be. 

Any one else care to give some input on Philadelphia?

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 06:56:19 PM »
Amazing food; gritty and real, not sanitized and sterile. Big enough to be a real city, small enough to be walkable. I love it.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 01:25:12 AM »
I attend Temple and live in Philly.

You're right to say that Temple is less expensive than other alternatives. One can also live inexpensively in the city, unless one's determined to live in Rittenhouse or Society Hill.

Anyhoo.

Jobs: Well, the job market is in the crapper everywhere, and Philly's no different. City budgetary constraints have dropped new govt hires (in legal positions) to near zero or zero, and some firms are hiring smaller classes or letting more tenured associates go.  Many get frightened by this, but it's all a matter of perspective. There are legal jobs to be had; one merely need lower his expectations and he'll likely find what he needs, even if it's not what he wants.  I will say that Temple offers some useful assistance through our career services folks. The door always remains open for job counseling, no matter what the market. A minority of students obtain positions outside Philadelphia in NY, NJ, DE, and "everywhere else."

Culture: The culture in Philly is food and drink, mostly. We have great places to hang for cheap beer and karaoke as well as high end joints (that one probably can't afford as a student anyway). Great ethnic food, the cheesesteak, and more snack food per capita than any other place on earth. We've got all the historical jazz, theaters, and a great selection of museums, too.

Student Life: I could be wrong, but I think the students at Temple are more friendly and welcoming than at some other law schools. It wasn't hard to find a group I felt comfortable with and have fun with. The faculty are generally very approachable, which helps. The administration and financial aid, though with their hiccups given the size of the university, is also approachable and helpful.

On the whole, I couldn't have picked a better school for me. Temple is more diverse in age and race than many other schools, too, which is really nice. I don't feel as cloistered there as I might at other schools.

Oh, and Temple just raised its curve to a 3.05 from a 2.85, so that it'd more in line with the schools in our area ( I think that's the reason). Doesn't help me (3L), but it's not a bad deal; more folks get to slap their GPAs on resumes now, I gather.

Likewise!! Hows it going buddy!! You know... I'm finally gonna get my hands wet with Temple this May.haha I was accepted to and decided to attend there for an LL.M in their super fine Trial Advocacy program...  ;D

I'd have to agree with everything "likewise" said about Philly... Actually i'v met a lot of students in Philly from California... I'm currently at Villanova as a 3rd year visiting student and we have a pretty decent bunch from Cali... so i'd expect about the same amount of people at Temple.

Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 03:45:11 AM »
Temple is a very good school. I believe you can work in NY, NJ, Columbus, Cleveland and D.C., as well as Pittsburgh and Philly, of course. The career services dept. told me this, so I take it with a little skepticism. I actually got into Temple a few years ago, along with some other schools...didn't go. I hear great things about it. Skadden has a few Temple grads, including two partners - one based in NY - so it's not impossible to go NY BigLaw from there.