Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: PS too much like a resume? Anyone want to look?  (Read 1335 times)

rnrdiary

• View Profile
PS too much like a resume? Anyone want to look?
« on: February 19, 2009, 11:48:17 AM »
When I sat down to write why I wanted to become a lawyer, I had about 20 pgs worth of reasons and things I've been doing to get there. I fianlly cut a lot out, but was left with a number of experiences and feelings that were hard to connect. I thought it would be creative to set my essay up like a diary entry with dates and what happened on those dates that made me want to pursue a legal education. I had it read by 2 people- neither who went to law school- who disagreed. One loved the format and the other said the admissions office would hate it. Anyone want to take a look and act as the tiebreaker before I re-write it?

Thanks!

rnrdiary

jramire1

• View Profile
Re: PS too much like a resume? Anyone want to look?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 03:08:57 PM »
I agree with the ladder observor.  I think it would be a bad idea to write in that format.  It sucks you went through so many pages, but I have another suggestion you may not like... A lot of schools don't want their PS to be about why you want to go to law school, or times when you realized you want to be a lawyer.  The essay should be about a time in your life that maybe changed you or had a major effect on you.  From that they should be able to extrapolate what type of lawyer you will become.  sorry.... hope this helps, and good luck on admissions!

;)

grahamw2

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 02:05:22 PM »
I second the last post, the main reason they dont want to hear about "aspirations of becoming a lawyer" is because honestly who really knows what it is like to be a lawyer and how can you aspire to become somebody you dont completely understand?! also with that is the reasoning for desiring to become a lawyer, many of the things that drove individuals to pursue a legal career will get old very quickly in law school and/or not be strong enough to combat the pressure of law school.  Advice: simply focus on what will get you though law school.  When you feel like you cant read another page or brief another case, what will push you to complete your work look deep into you past and you should find something and if you dont, ask yourself if law school if for you.  hope that helped and good luck.

The Harvard Guy

• View Profile
    • How To Get Into Harvard Law School
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 03:15:19 PM »
That's an interesting format, and I have to emphasize that admissions offices LOVE creativity.  Moreover, it will stand out from the rest, and whoever reads it will remember it, which will help you when they determine whether to admit you.  I have two caveats, however:

1) How long is it?  If it's more than 2 pages, you have to shorten it.  Thus, your format may not work out as well if you've got multiple diary entries.  If you focus on one or two diary entries, then  that might work.

2) How casual is the writing style.  You don't want to sound too casual, colloquial, or slangy.  It may be a diary entry, but it should maintain a certain level of formality.

E-mail it to me if you want me to take a look.

DiscussLaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 03:07:47 PM »
Good Luck for your PS.