Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: motivate?  (Read 700 times)

nooyyllib

motivate?
« on: February 18, 2009, 08:47:31 PM »
Yeah, so today, I was at the library trying to do a few more timed sections and just could NOT focus.  Felt like my chest was going to expload, head thumping, etc.  It's not like I didn't get enough sleep either.  I just couldn't do them so I came back home.  Am I going to burn out? I'm prepping for the June 09 exam and seems like I'm getting no where. 

KaplanLSATInstructor

• View Profile
Re: motivate?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 08:53:44 AM »
How long have you been studying for the exam? If you've been at it a while, then burnout is all too likely. With almost four months to the June exam, you might benefit from stepping away from the test for a couple of days and coming back to it with a clear, relaxed mind.

Whatever you do, don't let this test defeat you. Just relax and regain your focus. This long before the test, try not to force yourself to do too much work if your mind isn't letting you. Otherwise, you're potentially wasting material.

Give us a little more information (e.g., how long you've been studying, how you're normally scoring in general) and we could probably give you a little more reliable advice.

nooyyllib

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 10:19:20 AM »
Since summer 2008. 

Diagnostic was 152 - timed

went over the powerscore bibles, recently have been timing myself per section (35mins each)

For LR - I've been getting 5-7 wrong a section timed
For RC - I've been getting 4-6 wrong a section timed
For LG - I've been getting 3-4 wrong a section timed

I plan on taking a full timed exam tomorrow (Fri) or Saturday to see where I am at before spring break begins. 

Also, yesterday was my first time doing LSATs in 4 days because I have a 3 midterms.

Liz Lemon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 10:31:54 AM »

Also, yesterday was my first time doing LSATs in 4 days because I have a 3 midterms.

well that's why you can't concentrate.  even though you stepped away from the LSAT for a few days you've been studying for three midterms!  studying for midterms alone will burn a person out, i can't even imagine studying for midterms and the lsat at the same time. 

i think it's reasonable to take a practice test before your break, but after that it might be in your best interest go off and enjoy your spring break without studying.  relax a bit and you'll come back with a clear mind and ready to study some more.  you might be rusty for a day or two, but it's february and the test is in june.  you have plenty of time :)

nooyyllib

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 10:58:55 AM »
as you can see with my practice sections, I am far away from my goal - 170+.  Thats the main thing that worries me.  Time flies and I feel like I'm going to run out. 

Liz Lemon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 12:32:47 PM »
as you can see with my practice sections, I am far away from my goal - 170+.  Thats the main thing that worries me.  Time flies and I feel like I'm going to run out. 

time flies and you still have room for improvement, but you're not too far away from your goal at the same time.  even if you're getting 17 total questions wrong, you're around a 165 (give or take a point or two).  see here: http://www.powerscore.com/lsat/help/correct_targeted.htm

i understand you feel time crunched, but you're going to burn out if you don't give yourself a break.  your brain and body need time to recover from stressful periods such as midterms; there's a reason you get a week-long break right after it!  based on what you are saying, i do think you might be approaching burnout.  if you don't recharge your batteries you will burn out and it could happen when you really can't afford it.  take a break from studying while you still have time!

KaplanLSATInstructor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 01:04:36 PM »
Also, if you've been studying for this exam since last summer, you're probably getting sick and tired of it. (Unlike me, who has been teaching and studying this test for over four years and is still fascinated and continually interested in it -- but I'm a little disturbed.)

You absolutely need to step away for a little bit. Then, set up a good study schedule that's thorough but not overtaxing. And don't get overly concerned with score when you get started up again. You need to refocus on your basic ability to just work on the test. Some time around April you can start thinking about scores again.

I know... easier said than done -- especially with your 170+ goal. Still, RELAX! Too many people underestimate the mental toll this test takes on you and how that affects your performance. I've seen too many people who can do well on this test but let psychological factors mess with them. Don't let that happen to you.

nooyyllib

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 08:37:37 PM »
well, I just finished taking 2 logical reasoning sections timed. 

5 wrong on first section, and TEN wrong on the other.  Today I didn't really feel like yesterday.  Out of the 5 from the first section 3 were 50/50 questions so motivated me more but unfortunately the second section....

Well thanks for the concern everyone..

Liz Lemon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 10:09:27 AM »
seriously, you need to calm down.  you're doing worse because you're burning out.  relax!  if you just keep your head clear you're going to do very well!  good luck!