Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Billing rate to salary ratio??  (Read 6857 times)

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Billing rate to salary ratio??
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 10:36:22 AM »
Very interesting. I was thinking about it in terms of commute and lunch/dinner, but didn't think about the meetings/general correspondence/reading-just-to-be-current, That comes out to a LOT of hours. (I always knew that, I just never quantified it).

Yea, I was talking to a girl who works at a firm in Toronto, and she said all the non-billable stuff really adds up and keeps you there until 2 am sometimes. 

Good thing I'm addicted to caffeine.

Wait until you do a summer associate gig.  It's nothing like working as an associate, BUT, you at least see how much time we spend dicking around doing nothing every day lol.  You will be at the office for 8 hours and realize you only "billed" like 4.

NZP

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 03:38:17 PM »
Very interesting. I was thinking about it in terms of commute and lunch/dinner, but didn't think about the meetings/general correspondence/reading-just-to-be-current, That comes out to a LOT of hours. (I always knew that, I just never quantified it).

Yea, I was talking to a girl who works at a firm in Toronto, and she said all the non-billable stuff really adds up and keeps you there until 2 am sometimes. 

Good thing I'm addicted to caffeine.

Wait until you do a summer associate gig.  It's nothing like working as an associate, BUT, you at least see how much time we spend dicking around doing nothing every day lol.  You will be at the office for 8 hours and realize you only "billed" like 4.

Here is a great example of a dic khe ad biglaw associate-The Dude Man. He is so negative in all his posts because he has to work a lot, but doesn't want to. Posting stupid criticism on this forum is much easier than working on billable hours at the government agency. The Dude Man, or are you at your new biglaw firm now? Doesn't look like you mood improved.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 04:03:03 PM »
I wasn't being negative moron.  I was commenting on how one realizes how much time is wasted throughout the day. 

Don't be bitter because you have no job prospects and make 5 bucks a donation right now.  I love you trolls that don't even have the balls to post with your real screen name.

NZP

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 04:14:36 PM »
I wasn't being negative moron.  I was commenting on how one realizes how much time is wasted throughout the day. 

Don't be bitter because you have no job prospects and make 5 bucks a donation right now.  I love you trolls that don't even have the balls to post with your real screen name.

I am at work right now and have two more years to go at law school. I am not even thinking that I won't have any job prospects. And I am afraid you mistook me for somebody else. I've never trolled here or anywhere before. I don't think expressing my opinion about you is trolling at all. There is a Matthis (or what's his name) appreciation thread, why can't I pick on you, since that's what you are constantly doing.

About my name, let it be what my nick is. I don't know your real name why are you asking for mine.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 04:25:08 PM »
My guess is you have a different moniker, hence the 1 post.  Regardless, like I said, you are just looking to start a fight considering I wasn't being negative in my post at all.  I was simply stating how you realize how much time is wasted during a day because of little things.  When you live in 6 minute increments, it all comes into perspective and you realize what 1900-2100 billable hours really is.

NZP

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 04:33:52 PM »
My guess is you have a different moniker, hence the 1 post.  Regardless, like I said, you are just looking to start a fight considering I wasn't being negative in my post at all.  I was simply stating how you realize how much time is wasted during a day because of little things.  When you live in 6 minute increments, it all comes into perspective and you realize what 1900-2100 billable hours really is.

What I got from your post above is that YOU are dicking around and suggesting doing the same to other new associates. I can't disagree that there is a lot of time wasted in the office, it was already pointed out in that Yale link and I didn't think it was your intention to be redundant.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 04:39:29 PM »

What I got from your post above is that YOU are dicking around and suggesting doing the same to other new associates. I can't disagree that there is a lot of time wasted in the office, it was already pointed out in that Yale link and I didn't think it was your intention to be redundant.

You need to learn to read.  I was merely commenting that once you experience it, you see how much time is wasted.  I got great reviews my entire summer, obviously I wasn't dicking around.  You on the other hand, probably go to some TTT and will never work in Biglaw most likely, hence the giant chip on your crippled shoulder. 

Have fun jerking off alone in your room all weekend.  Tool.

NZP

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 04:56:57 PM »
Well, I don't jerk around due to the absence of the tool. I don't have a chip on my shoulder simply because I go to a lower tier law school and what's more important I have no desire to work for a biglaw firm because of the crazy hours and dicking around involved in it. Moreover, I don't have time to "jerk around alone in my room on the weekend" because I have kids and a life. I see where you are coming from though ;) Poor dude man, do you want some chocolate chip cookies with milk before bed?  ::)

SEC_2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 05:31:33 PM »
I really don't think he was trying to be negative or any kind of elitist NZP. Honestly, it seems like you ARE bitter about something because there was nothing in his post to prompt you to attack him like that....

Thanks for sharing your experience DudeMan. I'm not sure I really want BigLaw either (not that I am purporting to even have the option at this point since I am a 1L and not T14) due to the lifestyle, but it is good to hear first-hand from associates like you so that I know the real deal.

Well, I don't jerk around due to the absence of the tool. I don't have a chip on my shoulder simply because I go to a lower tier law school and what's more important I have no desire to work for a biglaw firm because of the crazy hours and dicking around involved in it. Moreover, I don't have time to "jerk around alone in my room on the weekend" because I have kids and a life. I see where you are coming from though ;) Poor dude man, do you want some chocolate chip cookies with milk before bed?  ::)

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 05:35:40 PM »
I really don't think he was trying to be negative or any kind of elitist NZP. Honestly, it seems like you ARE bitter about something because there was nothing in his post to prompt you to attack him like that....

Thanks for sharing your experience DudeMan. I'm not sure I really want BigLaw either (not that I am purporting to even have the option at this point since I am a 1L and not T14) due to the lifestyle, but it is good to hear first-hand from associates like you so that I know the real deal.

Just bust your butt and don't rely on OCI alone.  Send out mass direct writes, they pay off.

NZP is obviously bitter about something.  Though, if she's middle-aged with a family and going to some crappy law school it's likely because her husband left her and she's trying to do something with her life, but always falls short. 

Also, 90% of the people on these boards that say they don't want biglaw, could never get it.  Interesting.... lol.