Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Kent PT or other Chicago schools Full Time  (Read 3350 times)

u2007

• View Profile
Re: Kent PT or other Chicago schools Full Time
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2009, 10:08:29 PM »
adding to lawdog's assessment of underrated tier 2 schools.  I was fortunate enough to get admitted into two schools on that list: Kent and Temple.  Frankly speaking, my goal is BigLaw prospects. Based on this factor which of the two would be a better choice?

Both schools are very similar as far as other considerations (ranking, prestige, etc.), with the exception of location.  If you are really set on BigLaw, you may have less competition for BigLaw jobs coming out of Temple, since the Chicago market is more competitive.  But I would imagine you would have to do very well at either school to have a chance at BigLaw.  Just realize BigLaw may end up not being an option.  So, assuming you are paying a similar price for both, you may want to base your decision largely on where you want to practice: Chicago or Philadelphia.

theonlygirlphilosopher

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2009, 01:25:02 PM »
Agreed...I have to admit I play into rankings a LOT, but after being WL'd at American, I don't really see the need to hold out hope for an acceptance.  It seems like wayyyyy too much debt to be worth it over Richmond or a possible Kent acceptance (hope, hope, hope, I have a 3.1 and a 161 plus a year of work in politics...).

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2009, 02:50:15 AM »
adding to lawdog's assessment of underrated tier 2 schools.  I was fortunate enough to get admitted into two schools on that list: Kent and Temple.  Frankly speaking, my goal is BigLaw prospects. Based on this factor which of the two would be a better choice?

You'll have a better experience and more job options coming out of Kent. Chicago firms employ more Kent grads than those of any other school. This type of stat can be misleading, however, as many NU and U-Chi grads tend to leave. It also obscures the fact that many of those firms are mid-sized or boutique.

Philly is close to NY, and some Temple grads do get to NY, but you can also get to NY out of Kent if you make top-10%.

wickedzeus

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2009, 03:38:17 PM »
Has anyone gone from part-time to full time at Kent, or heard of anyone who did that? Could you describe that process?

Will the school help in finding work, or something like an internship?

I'm concerned that the part-time program is meant for older students, or those who work and go to school at the same time. Is the summer after 1L lost?

ohioan

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2009, 04:01:23 PM »
Has anyone gone from part-time to full time at Kent, or heard of anyone who did that? Could you describe that process?

I'm concerned that the part-time program is meant for older students, or those who work and go to school at the same time. Is the summer after 1L lost?

I really don't think Kent is as strong as it is being made out. I dropped in the rankings, along with Loyola. So outside the top ten, the only Chicago school to hold, or actually improve in rank is DePaul. 10 spots in the bottom 100 is pretty much meaningless.  So all three (DePaul, Kent, Loyola) are considered equal - which is what others in this forum have said. It just really comes down to where you feel the most comfortable. Anyway, in regards to your question, in many PT programs, including Kent, you can switch from PT to FT after the first year. Since summer 1L jobs are a rarity, you would probably be in a very good position. The main drawback is when you seek jobs upon graduation, many firms look down on the part time student, but if you participate in other activities, get good grades, and demonstrate your potential, the fact that you went PT will not be a major factor. That's my opinion after having spoken with many alumni and hiring partners at law firms. Best of luck.

NMUZ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2009, 04:13:32 PM »
I agree that the three are pretty even, and that is why I would recommend to go FT unless you feel a lot more comfortable at a school that offered you PT and are willing to deal with the consequences of going PT

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2009, 04:52:19 PM »

The main drawback is when you seek jobs upon graduation, many firms look down on the part time student, but if you participate in other activities, get good grades, and demonstrate your potential, the fact that you went PT will not be a major factor. That's my opinion after having spoken with many alumni and hiring partners at law firms. Best of luck.

I don’t know anything about Kent’s PT, but I am a PT law students, and at least here in my market there are none of the “downsides” described in this post. I’ve yet to have any employer comment on my being part time or felt it impacted me in any way other than positive.

Roughly about half of my working classmates switch careers into law after 1L so that by the time they graduated (and with less debt than if they went fulltime) and they had/have at least three years legal experience plus the contacts that come from that (be either clerking FT or PT).

Many of them did not have to even look for jobs because the firms they had been clerking for hired them on fulltime at graduation. Is part-time the best option for everyone, no, but if you do it right it can actually be a big advantage over going FT, and at least from what I have seen its not been a disadvantage to me at all. 
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

wickedzeus

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2009, 02:57:17 PM »
thanks for the info matthies, do you plan on switching to full time? Do you know what that process involves?

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2009, 03:59:01 PM »
thanks for the info matthies, do you plan on switching to full time? Do you know what that process involves?

No, I just finished my last class last night, I'm graduating. I don't know what it involves at kent, but at my school if one wanted to switch all they had to do was fill out a form. I stayed PT so I clerk and pay for school
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

wickedzeus

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2009, 10:23:49 PM »
Congrats!

May I ask how you got the clerkship? Was it year round?

I'm thinking about going part time at Kent, and I was wondering if schools helped part timers find employment for during the school year