Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Strange? In at DePaul, Rutgers, PSU, Indy but Rejected Franklin Pierce?  (Read 797 times)

ohioan

• View Profile
I do not understand how with a 161 LSAT I did not get into Franklin Pierce, and with a biomedical M.S. and strong letters...ugh@!

Right now I am trying to figure out which is better in Chicago, DePaul or Loyola and if either would be better for me than Rutgers in Newark, Penn State, or IU-Indy. Since IU-Indy has the higher ranking, it should be the choice, but I think for job prospects in Chicago, DePaul or Loyola is best. I have not been accepted to any Tier 1 schools, at least not yet, and it doesn't look good. I am trying to find out where are the IP firms that specialize in biotech and then see where they tend to recruit from. Any thoughts or opinions about any of the schools mentioned would be most appreciated.

SamE397

Re: Strange? In at DePaul, Rutgers, PSU, Indy but Rejected Franklin Pierce?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 01:40:11 PM »
Wow, I felt bad because I wait-listed at FP with a 156; I had thought my waitlist was because I'm not patent bar eligible guess not.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 03:38:41 PM »
FP is no bull. What was your GPA? Your LSAT is good, but the other stuff is just soft factors and matters very little in the admissions game.

And Penn State is the best option right now.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

ohioan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 05:06:36 PM »
FP is no bull. What was your GPA? Your LSAT is good, but the other stuff is just soft factors and matters very little in the admissions game.

And Penn State is the best option right now.

GPA is a ten year old 2.83 in mol bio from big ten school.  Why do you say PSU is best option? I did not find as much for employment prospects as I did for Loyola Chicago or DePaul.

TTom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 08:49:27 PM »
I do not understand how with a 161 LSAT I did not get into Franklin Pierce, and with a biomedical M.S. and strong letters...ugh@!

Right now I am trying to figure out which is better in Chicago, DePaul or Loyola and if either would be better for me than Rutgers in Newark, Penn State, or IU-Indy. Since IU-Indy has the higher ranking, it should be the choice, but I think for job prospects in Chicago, DePaul or Loyola is best. I have not been accepted to any Tier 1 schools, at least not yet, and it doesn't look good. I am trying to find out where are the IP firms that specialize in biotech and then see where they tend to recruit from. Any thoughts or opinions about any of the schools mentioned would be most appreciated.

If you want to work in Chicago then it would probably be a huge mistake to go to any of those schools outside of DePaul and Loyola. None of those others will place well in Chicago. Especially in IP (where you'd be looking at a specialty boutique or a bigger law firm).

Good luck!

ohioan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 10:18:41 PM »

[/quote]

If you want to work in Chicago then it would probably be a huge mistake to go to any of those schools outside of DePaul and Loyola. None of those others will place well in Chicago. Especially in IP (where you'd be looking at a specialty boutique or a bigger law firm).

Good luck!
[/quote]

I agree. My specific area is biotech patent law, and from I am finding, there are more firms in the NY, DC area that specialize in this than in Chicago (3). So maybe Penn St. or Rutgers would be better choices overall?

contrarian

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 02:36:11 AM »

I got dinged by FP too and with a slightly higher LSAT.  Honestly the chances of my attending were slim to none, I had no real desire to move to NH.  They are well regarded in IP law however so I included them.

If you have a background in, and want to focus on IP law in Biotech, I'd recommend Kent.  If that's not an option, I'd go with DePaul over Loyola if you want to go with IP.  Generally I'm a bit more partial to Depaul over Loyola, most of which I think is based on personal warm & fuzzy over any real substantiated reasoning. Loyola does seem to give slightly better opportunity in job placement and starting salary.  However I've not seen much in terms of merit or other financial incentives, and they do cost more.   

TTom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 09:32:46 AM »
Ohioan,

If you can, I'd check OCI (on campus interview) information for the schools you've been accepted to. Just email the schools' career services offices and ask if they'll give a list of firms that come to campus or that they are expecting to come. This will give you a heads up on who employs from those schools. But you should know that only the top 30% or so of your class will have a chance with those employers as most OCIs are prescreened.

My gut feeling is that if you want to do biotech IP in N.Y. or D.C. that none of those schools are going to get your there unless 1. you finish near the top of your class or 2. get into a smaller market (Chicago, Atlanta) and lateral in after a few years. But in order to lateral in you're still going to need to have graduated very high in your class and have worked at a big/prestigious firm in the meantime. I'm afraid there is no easy route for you.

That said, DePaul and Loyola probably have some pretty big firms coming to their OCIs. If you want to eventually do IP in New York, doing IP in Chicago is probably one of your best shots.