Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: PREPPING FOR 1L -- HELP  (Read 9926 times)

southerncallaw

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: PREPPING FOR 1L -- HELP
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2009, 12:17:00 PM »
Read getting to maybe.  The others I skimmed and they were not helpful and in places, misleading.  Getting to maybe was helpful in pointing out what to expect on exams and in classes.  It was great and it was not "confusing" at all!  Lucid and direct!

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2009, 12:27:31 PM »
We have reviewed a few of the prelaw prep books at http://zerolblog.com/?cat=16 .

Basically, read Geting to Maybe.

PreLawBootCamp

• View Profile
    • Pre Law Bootcamp
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2009, 07:22:27 PM »
It all depends.  I think one big takeaway re exams is that there is a difference between knowing the law and demonstrating that knowledge.  Always keep that in the back of your mind.
Pre-Law Bootcamp; Washington DC; June-July 2009.
Email: prelawsummer@gmail.com

no634

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • No 634
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2009, 01:38:35 PM »
I'd disagree with that - our orientation program was about the lamest thing on earth and didn't prepare me squat for law school.  We basically watched "A Civil Action" and discussed it...   

That's unfortunate.

At UMN we had orientation leaders who led us through ice breakers and answered our questions throughout the day. Then we had different speakers come to our room and talk to us about different things...ie, student life, briefing, bluebooking, adjusting... etc.

We had a mock class, and large lectures on professional responsibility...and plenty of semi-structured social events. I thought it was useful.

MidWesternPleb

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2009, 05:20:30 PM »
I actually did the LEEWS self study program last summer.  I obviously couldn't grasp the substantive value of LEEWS at that time, but by the end of September, what I had gathered from LEEWS started to make sense in a way that made it valuable to me and the deficiencies I was smart enough to recognize I had. 

You mentioned having some study skills problems - LEEWS or something similar that focuses on exam prep should be beneficial.  I know how crazy it must sound to be "prepping" for 1st semester exams in July, but it will begin to focus your thinking where it should be - especially if you have self admitted study issues.  Also of use is the section of "law school confidential" where the author talks about his daily schedule, his briefing strategies, note taking strategies, and his outlining strategies.  (LOL - But note that while I did notice half of my section using the "highlighter briefing" method and used it myself in August and September, by February you'd be lucky to find anyone within a mile of a highlighter.) 

Granted, you're probably smart enough to figure most of these things out by October or so on your own, but it doesn't hurt to go in with some kind of strategy in mind.  Just remember the basics - learn your black letter law inside and out, because your analysis and issue spotting will flow more freely and effortlessly if you do. Focus on the "big picture" in heavy black letter courses like civ pro and crim pro.  And most importantly of all, start doing hypos as soon as you feel comfortable.       

BarryLaine

• Sr. Citizen
  • "My aim is true..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2009, 05:54:52 PM »
tag.

m1ss_uNdeRst00d

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2009, 11:28:33 AM »
This is what I learned from my short time on this site:

Everyone has their opinion, and they mostly conflict. Do what works for you. There are so many books out there - look for some of the books that people suggested on amazon.com, read a few pages, and see if you're interested.

Personally, I'm following PLS to a T, and I don't really care what anyone thinks. I'm not going to suggest you do the same, because you're not me.
UB Law 2012

lawness

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2009, 11:32:56 AM »
I have a question. I am an 0L as well and I am compiling a list of employers. On NALP Directory, do you send your resume and cover letter to the recruiting contact listed or whoever they put down as the contact? For judges I guess you send the items directly to chambers, right?

m1ss_uNdeRst00d

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2009, 11:45:20 AM »
I have a question. I am an 0L as well and I am compiling a list of employers. On NALP Directory, do you send your resume and cover letter to the recruiting contact listed or whoever they put down as the contact? For judges I guess you send the items directly to chambers, right?

Is this kind of early?
UB Law 2012

lawness

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2009, 12:03:34 PM »
Just getting ready for next summer. Proactive, I like to think and besides from what I am learning, I will not have time to do this Nov. Dec.