Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: PREPPING FOR 1L -- HELP  (Read 10065 times)

lawstudent2012

• View Profile
PREPPING FOR 1L -- HELP
« on: February 18, 2009, 12:38:52 PM »
Hello,

I am new to this board, and am beginning law school at a T14 school in the fall.  I have read so many conflicting opinions on what (or often what not) to read and study during the months leading up to the first day of classes.

Specifically, I have seen opinions ranging from following the Planet Law School course to a T, all the way down to "don't read anything at all" before starting law school.

Can someone either point me to a thread discussing this, or share their opinion?  Thanks so much. 

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
Re: PREPPING FOR 1L -- HELP
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 01:12:50 PM »
I took Law Preview, which I thought was helpful.  I also read Getting to Maybe, which was pretty useful as well.

lawstudent2012

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 01:15:49 PM »
Any strong opinions (either positive or negative) on Planet Law School out there?

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 01:54:04 PM »
Any strong opinions (either positive or negative) on Planet Law School out there?

I know this is not what you asked for, but I have a lukewarm opinion of Planet Law School.  The book really helps you to develop a strong study strategy but I didn't really understand why until I started school.  If you are extremely intelligent and motivated I would recommend reading Planet Law school before you start your first year.  If you are somewhat intelligent and somewhat motivated, I would recommend skimming the book and reading a few chapters before law school, and then reading it in depth during the second month of your first semester.  (Not that you'll have a lot of time to read)

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 06:00:34 PM »
I would suggest doing nothing besides possibly Getting to Maybe.  Trust me, the difference between an A exam and a B exam is your professor's take on things, not some guy's take on things.  If you're going to Chicago in the fall, I would be happy to discuss professors with you.  If not, ask someone already at the school when you get there.

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 07:27:28 PM »
I would suggest doing nothing besides possibly Getting to Maybe.  Trust me, the difference between an A exam and a B exam is your professor's take on things, not some guy's take on things.  If you're going to Chicago in the fall, I would be happy to discuss professors with you.  If not, ask someone already at the school when you get there.

Agreed.  Your time is best used relaxing, maybe beginning to assemble a database of employers to contact in December.  Worry about exams once you get to school and can get a read on your actual professor, or even better, get his actual practice exams.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 08:38:41 PM »
Definitely read "Getting to Maybe".

Once you know your first semester classes, consider buying supplements for those classes and reading the first parts of the supplements (to get the basic idea of the law down), or as many relevant parts as you can (discernible once you get your syllabus and know which chapters your class will go over).  Consider studying and exam-gunning strategies, but really work to develop your strategy/approach once at law school.

I took the "do nothing" approach, and sort of regret it now.  If I could re-live my last summer, I would've executed my above advice.  Keep in mind that you'll be surrounded by (mostly) very intelligent people who are all used to getting great grades and studying hard for tests.  They will be your competition.  Don't assume that you'll effortlessly fall at the median of your class.  In fact, I'd recommend going into law school contemplating being in the  bottom fifth of your class and stressing out about being that small fragment of your T14 that has to worry about job prospects.
_______
.|E|R|S.

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 08:46:06 PM »
I tried to read getting to maybe over the summer, but it didn't sink in really.  It helped to read it a month or so in to class, because I understood more of the examples.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 08:54:05 PM »
I tried to read getting to maybe over the summer, but it didn't sink in really.  It helped to read it a month or so in to class, because I understood more of the examples.

Maybe read it once over summer, and re-read it again (albeit faster this time) during law school?  A passing familiarity with the arguments might help you read it faster (so you can socialize and stay on top of other work), reading it after some familiarity with school (and  maybe looking up an old exam) will help you put the advice into context, and reading it twice will help the main points stick in your head.
_______
.|E|R|S.

Koobideh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 02:11:22 AM »
Don't waste time prepping for law school. Do not bother reading "Getting to Maybe"...you wont understand it before getting to school and you will forget it by finals time. Don't read PLS either its only value is recommending supplements (i wasted so much money following PLS...I bought the UCC for gods sake! The UCC!!!). Read Law School Confidential to panic and get a sense of how serious things are (which is needed so you dont cruise in thinking its going to  "pick up" pace...the show starts from day one).

If you are really crazy about getting your hands on some material, get the E&Es for the core courses you will have in the FALL only. I skimmed through the E&Es and they were of no value to me other than calming my nerves. If anything, your professors will teach you their version of the law so "prepping" could actually mess you up because you will have to unlearn things.   

So the only thing to do during the summer: compile a list of employers/judges/government groups etc you will be sending your resume + cover letter to and start drafting cover letters...

I can safely say that I ended up with my 3.78 after first semester (at USC) without any assistance from summer "prepping". Go to class, take good notes, if you dont understand something, immediately meet the professor to discuss it and start prepping for finals early.