Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: PREPPING FOR 1L -- HELP  (Read 9506 times)

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile
Re: PREPPING FOR 1L -- HELP
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2009, 09:05:39 PM »
Also, I'm still in UG, and I took a law & society course last quarter. It essentially functioned as an overview of the basics of the BLL in the core areas (although the prof skimmed over property pretty lightly). I kind of questioned the value of taking it at first, but I think it's going to turn out to be more helpful than I thought. For instance, I'm 150 pages through Blum, and it's all stuff that I had already learned in this class (mailbox rule, consideration for options, etc).

ROFLMAO at the thought of a 0L having "learned" anything about how to handle law school by taking a 1 semester course.

;D :D 8)

You can learn Mailbox Rule, Consideration, Acceptance, Options, and every other gnarly vocabulary word by spending an hour on Wikipedia.

Does that in any way prepare you for what you are about to experience during your first 3 weeks of Contracts or Law School in general?

Not a chance. If Undergrad could actually teach you the law or how to "think like a lawyer" then there would be no point in Law School. We'd be like Europe and just have a Legal degree as a part of undergraduate studies.

Do yourself a favor and stop learning stuff that you'll have to UNLEARN once you actually have class.
Warning: Educated Black Man

University of Law '09

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2009, 10:53:17 PM »
I disagree.  I think you can learn how to think like a lawyer without law school, but you would have to take many practice exams.

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2009, 03:42:11 AM »
I disagree.  I think you can learn how to think like a lawyer without law school, but you would have to take many practice exams.

You just finished your 1st year, so you really don't know anything about "thinking like a lawyer" outside of what your Professor has told you to think.
Warning: Educated Black Man

University of Law '09