Law School Discussion

Where should I apply? 177, 2.73

Re: Where should I apply? 177, 2.73
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 01:11:08 PM »
Also there is another considerations... I am deeply interested in a legal career... but I know that unless one can get into a top school, without scholarship money it may not make economic sense to aquire so much debt, especially since I will not be graduating until age 31.  Do I have a probable shot at getting into a school that makes law school a good choice?

Don't worry so much about money. Many people assume debt they would not otherwise have to if they'd just be more proactive and research scholarships. But most people don't want to do the work to apply. If you apply for 10-20 scholarships, you will save a bunch of money.  So, do it! Apply for outside scholarships...every one you can get your hands on, even if you are only slightly qualified for them. So much money goes unused every year. They have scholarships for left-handed law students, for cryin' outloud! lol! There are scholarships for law students who lost relatives in 911 or who have heart conditions...undergraduate major-specific scholarships that also require certain geography. Scholarships for students with high LSAT's and low GPA's!

Do well in your first year and you may be able to defray more of the costs, and that assumes you are not coming from a top school. If at a top school, you have less to worry about, although nothing is guaranteed.

The value of a law degree may be stagnant for a few years, but it isn't going down.

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 07:56:48 PM »
Scholarships for students with high LSAT's and low GPA's!

::cocks eyebrow::

Where do you get one of these?

The value of a law degree may be stagnant for a few years, but it isn't going down.

What makes you say this?

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 08:54:30 PM »
William and Mary and George Mason in VA, if you can get in state VA rates and maybe some money out of them.

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 02:12:59 AM »
Scholarships for students with high LSAT's and low GPA's!

::cocks eyebrow::

Where do you get one of these?

What makes you say this?

Michigan, Baylor and some lower ranked schools have paid students for high test scores. But, in general, financial aid offices do take LSAT into consideration with merit-based scholarships. I also didn't mean to imply that a low GPA was "desirable" in these matters. I sort of worded it wrong. I meant that there are schools where your GPA is much less of a factor than your LSAT in scholarship consideration.

The economy is at a standstill now, but experts proiject that salaries won't go down. I have read numerous articles, namely on Lieter's blog and the NULaw website, among others. When the economy recovers, salaries are likely to begin climbing again, if only gradually. And BigLaw firms will always have to pay top dollar for top talent. That's just the way it is...it's an arms race.