Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What is so bad about FL Coastal?  (Read 691 times)

mike mack

• View Profile
What is so bad about FL Coastal?
« on: February 18, 2009, 12:53:55 AM »
I got accepted at coastal with 5k "scholarship" and waiting on a decision from FIU. I have a 147 and 3.62- was in the military for 4 years and completed my college degree at night

After reading some threads all I am seeing is coastal bashing. I would like to know why? Obviously its no harvard and is a tier 4 school, but my aspirations is to be a assistant district attorney. can this be accomplished by going to coastal?

The military will be paying $45k towards my law school tuition over 2 years, does anyone know of any grants out their for minorities or military vets, or people who have done lots of community service.

Thanks much,

Mike

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What is so bad about FL Coastal?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 03:29:53 AM »
Coastal is just a bad school that gets no love in Jacksonville, even less love in Florida, and is basically unheard of outside of the state. Unless you graduate at the top of your class, your job options are likely to be limited, and even then expect to hash it out with people from all of the better schools in Florida.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

ntiger

• KC Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 04:24:44 PM »
Bad news bears.  I have a cousin that graduated from Florida Coastal and works in the district attorney's office in JAX, so it isnt a dead end.  I hear Jacksonville is a small legal market... go to FIU!  It is my old alma mater.

AJaKe

• Sr. Citizen
  • No, a law student!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 04:41:46 PM »
Various Assistant State Attorneys come from everywhere.  Emory, W&M, FIU, South Texas, Stetson, UF, Vermont.  The standards based on tier of school alone are pretty low.  Just make the most of that Tier 4 school and come out on top.

LSN
- 3.1 / 162

Accepted: UF, FSU, Rutgers-Camden(10k + T-Shirt!), Penn State, Temple, American, UPitt, Villanova
W/L: GMU, W&L, W&M
Ding: NONE!

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 04:45:37 PM »
Bad news bears.  I have a cousin that graduated from Florida Coastal and works in the district attorney's office in JAX, so it isnt a dead end.  I hear Jacksonville is a small legal market... go to FIU!  It is my old alma mater.

It's not a dead end, it just handcuffs you. And yeah, take FIU if you get the chance.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 04:49:52 PM »

Just make the most of that Tier 4 school and come out on top.

Easier said then done, even at a low ranking school.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 04:51:24 PM »
Oh yeah, and they have about a 30% attrition rate over the course of 3 years.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 05:06:43 PM »
Coastal is just a bad school that gets no love in Jacksonville, even less love in Florida, and is basically unheard of outside of the state. Unless you graduate at the top of your class, your job options are likely to be limited, and even then expect to hash it out with people from all of the better schools in Florida.

Add to that those who come from the rest of the southeast schools in GA, SC, NC, and TN, and florida is a tough nut to crack from a 4th-tier school.