Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why does everyone hate a gunner?  (Read 5937 times)

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
Re: Why does everyone hate a gunner?
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 11:58:26 PM »
K's is contracts, right?

/off-topic
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 11:59:57 PM »
K's is contracts, right?

/off-topic

Indeed :)
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 12:08:06 AM »
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 12:09:48 AM »
K's is contracts, right?

/off-topic

Indeed :)

^(closet gunner)

:D :D :D

Maybe along the vein of sheltron's innocuous gunner example...but certainly not in the alienating sense ;D
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 05:42:33 PM »
This is how I read the situation.  If you're at a T14 school, you probably were a gunner in UG.  In UG, there's a ton of knuckleheads and disinterested students.  However, at a T14 or 25, or even at most law schools in general, nearly all of the students have had success by being highly motivated - which often comes out through participation.

Thus, you have a classroom of people who would all like to talk.  However, the majority of students understand that we must keep our thoughts to ourselves.  We all can't talk.  Therefore, if you have a general question that helps to illuminate the text - an occasional question does not make you a gunner.

However, students that feel the need to always participate are very aggrivating.  It's like the entire class understands that comments need to be kept to a very moderate minimum.  When gunners go nuts, that even further limits your ability to talk.  So if the comments of the gunner are particularly unneeded, you'll get pissed off.

In terms of the gunner who does not talk in class yet is highly competitive, I imagine this might be disliked even more.  Collegiality is a public good.  The more everyone contributes to this good, the more it exists.  Most people prefer collegiality.  However, hyper competitive students reduce the overall level of collegiality.  It brings out competitiveness in other students who otherwise would have played nice. 

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 09:33:21 PM »
This is how I read the situation.  If you're at a T14 school, you probably were a gunner in UG.  In UG, there's a ton of knuckleheads and disinterested students.  However, at a T14 or 25, or even at most law schools in general, nearly all of the students have had success by being highly motivated - which often comes out through participation.

Thus, you have a classroom of people who would all like to talk.  However, the majority of students understand that we must keep our thoughts to ourselves.  We all can't talk.  Therefore, if you have a general question that helps to illuminate the text - an occasional question does not make you a gunner.

However, students that feel the need to always participate are very aggrivating.  It's like the entire class understands that comments need to be kept to a very moderate minimum.  When gunners go nuts, that even further limits your ability to talk.  So if the comments of the gunner are particularly unneeded, you'll get pissed off.

In terms of the gunner who does not talk in class yet is highly competitive, I imagine this might be disliked even more.  Collegiality is a public good.  The more everyone contributes to this good, the more it exists.  Most people prefer collegiality.  However, hyper competitive students reduce the overall level of collegiality.  It brings out competitiveness in other students who otherwise would have played nice. 

spot on!
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

Billy Mays here FOREVER!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 10:22:11 PM »

I guess i was the exception to the rule then. I'm hard pressed to even go to class

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 10:38:37 PM »
Gunners take class time away from the professor, limiting the amount of information students get to take in from lectures and, thus, costing students more money for the amount of information they receive.

I hate gunners (from my undergrad years) and I hate piggy-bakers almost as much.

A piggy-backer is someone who waits for others to take a stab at answering questions because they are often unsure of themselves. They wait for others to miss, thereby narrowing down the list of choices, and then, all of a sudden, they become geniuses and answer the questions correctly (most of the time).

What they are doing, and very few profs pick up on it, is making themselves look smarter at the expense of others.

Some people will call this "good gamesmanship", but think of it this way: that person lacks the guts to make mistakes, and really cares little for his/her classmates. What is more, he/she will make tons of mistakes when the safety net of the classroom is gone because they haven't learned the hardwired lessons that come with being wrong in a classroom. They invariably make lousy teammates, lousy classmates and probably lousy lawyers.

They are the "silent gunners" of the bunch, and they are cowards. The only good thing about them? They will often piggy-back the gunners.   

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 10:46:22 PM »
I hate a gunner and I hate a piggy-baker almost as much.

A piggy-backer is someone who waits for others to take a stab at answering questions because they are often unsure of themselves. They wait for others to miss, thereby narrowing down the list of choices, and then, all of a sudden, they become geniuses and answer the questions correctly (most of the time).

What they are doing, and very few profs pick up on it, is making themselves look smarter at the expense of others.

Some people will call this "good gamesmanship". But think of it this way. That person lacks the guts to make mistakes, and really cares little for his/her classmates. What is more, he/she will make tons of mistakes when the safety net of the classroom is gone because they haven't learned the hardwired lessons that come with being wrong in a classroom. They invariably make lousy teammates, lousy classmates and lousy lawyers.

They are the "silent gunners" of the bunch, and they are cowards.   

I've never noticed this and doubt it actually happens....but a related annoying/crazy thing is when the prof cold calls someone, that person hesitates for a second, and you see the gunner's hand shoot up.

When I was at GULC for the Charles Hamilton Houston Law Preparatory (taking real first-year courses), there were two people who did this consistently. And one wound up at GULC, the other went to GWU. Everybody hated them both.

One of our profs, Kim Keenan, cautioned people against being gunners or piggy-backers in law school. She warned us that it was a quick way to become ostracized.

BTW, you have described a piggybacker. If the Prof cold-calls someone else, that's different, but the hand shooting up? No! Don't need that every day.

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 11:07:22 PM »
When I was at GULC for the Charles Hamilton Houston Law Preparatory (taking real first-year courses), there were two people who did this consistently. And one wound up at GULC, the other went to GWU. Everybody hated them both.

Well that's punishment enough.

because everyone knows those are the schools where fun goes to die.

wait, that's somewhere else.  nevermind.  ;)

Oh damn.  Felt the burn.