Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why does everyone hate a gunner?  (Read 5940 times)

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Why does everyone hate a gunner?
« on: February 17, 2009, 10:49:09 PM »
First of all, I want to preface this by saying that before LSD I had never heard the term 'gunner'.  I was familiar with the (vaguely congruent) term 'keener' in undergrad, and I definitely fit the bill.  I pounded through readings, assignments, and office hours like it was my job - after all, that's sort of how I viewed school.  Instead of working for a bonus, I was working for top of the class status.

At the same time, I was one of the most outgoing kids in my program, and I knew and genuinely liked almost all my peers.  I'm pretty sure that everyone liked me too, even if I might have seemed like a bit of a 'keener' every now and then.

So this brings me to the big question: why such hate for gunners?  It seems somewhat lame that consensus on this issue is so strong that 0Ls already fear that label being applied to them like it is a scarlet letter.  What is the problem?  I thought law students were all motivated, exceptional students. 

Am I missing a key feature of a gunner?
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Why does everyone hate a gunner?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 11:08:19 PM »
I mean, totally a 0L here so take my opinion with a grain of salt...

I always thought there was some socially awkward component to gunnerism -- generally a lack of awareness or care about others by monopolizing time during a lecture/discussion talking about irrelevant personal experiences, monopolizing resources, or constantly talking about school so as to alienate their peers.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 11:30:00 PM »
I need to hear from the professor, who will be giving and grading my exam, not incessant questions that illuminate obscure/ obvious *&^%.

I don't hate on people who talk in class, or ask questions that are of general utility, but for the love of God, be concise.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 11:42:04 PM »
So...I don't think I have a good idea of what a gunner really is.  It sounds like it's just a loser, or someone without any self-reflective abilities?

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 11:44:18 PM »
I think there are two meanings, and this creates the issue. The first meaning includes all students, whether annoying in class or not, who work very long hours on school everyday, from day one. These people are seen as "gunning for first place."

That meaning, however, has been pejorativized to "annoying person who asks ridiculous, stupid, brown-nosing questions" (the metaphor I have in my head is someone who's hand is always "shooting" up to ask/answer a question). There is a perception--right or wrong--that these people LIVE for law school.

So, the first meaning would probably include most people who are serious about law school, which of course the slackers who have time to worry about such things would need to denigrate to make themselves feel more secure, thus the second meaning.

Did that make sense? I feel like I'm not making sense tonight. (Lalaland!)
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 11:44:34 PM »
No self-awareness, but also incorporates the try-hard academic stuff too.

I think the first definition in UD really hits the nail on the head

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gunner

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 11:49:08 PM »
I'm an exceptional striver, and very few people in my law school class like me.  The reason is that law school is different culturally; people realize that grades are everything, and that your position on the curve is a zero sum game vis-a-vis other students.

My advice to you is not to talk in class -- I refrain from doing so as well -- and to try to keep your studying to yourself.  Even if you do those things, as I did, you can still @#!* up your reputation through LSD and a few other sites, once outed.  *cough* ATL *cough*

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 11:53:46 PM »
Man...that sounds pretty lame.  It almost sounds like law school is a return to junior high when being the studious kid gets you a bad rap. 

As for the UD definition, I fit the first part, but I draw the line at compromising relationships to get ahead.  At the same time, I can see myself passing on a few bar nights to stay in and study.  IMO it is ultimately more important that I manage my time at law school as well as possible.

I can drink with friends without going into 100K debt..

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 11:55:00 PM »
Well Wally, to be fair, it seems like part of the reason you alienate your peers is that you can't just relax and talk about things not related to the law.  Granted, I don't know you but this is the impression I've gotten from your previous posts and your general demeanor on LSD.  It's not just that law school grading is a zero sum game, but also that I'm sure classmates would like to occasionally cut loose and get to know their peers on a human level.  If you are always going to talk about what happened in torts or Ks or the intricacies of civ pro, I think people will (rightly or wrongly) assume you have no interest in them as people. 

finderskeepers

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 11:55:53 PM »
I think there are two meanings, and this creates the issue. The first meaning includes all students, whether annoying in class or not, who work very long hours on school everyday, from day one. These people are seen as "gunning for first place."

That meaning, however, has been pejorativized to "annoying person who asks ridiculous, stupid, brown-nosing questions" (the metaphor I have in my head is someone who's hand is always "shooting" up to ask/answer a question). There is a perception--right or wrong--that these people LIVE for law school.

So, the first meaning would probably include most people who are serious about law school, which of course the slackers who have time to worry about such things would need to denigrate to make themselves feel more secure, thus the second meaning.

Did that make sense? I feel like I'm not making sense tonight. (Lalaland!)

I mostly agree with this.  But I don't hate the talkers because I think they live for law school, but because they apparently live to hear themselves speak.  The frequent talkers seem (fairly or not) very self-absorbed.  Not everyone finds a "gunner's" thoughts as interesting or important as they do.  Nor should we.  The comment that starts "I think it's also important to note..." is of NO value to me, because I only care what the professor will think it's important for me to note in my answer to his exam question.  Gunners take away time that the professor could be using to actually teach me something.