Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAC Misconduct for Letter of Recommendation  (Read 30319 times)

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
Re: LSAC Misconduct for Letter of Recommendation
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2009, 08:46:54 PM »
Just a thought . . . This letter must have been pretty extravagant to prompt LSAC to call the sender.

I was wondering that made them call your recommender...
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

AJaKe

• Sr. Citizen
  • No, a law student!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2009, 09:34:55 PM »
Just a thought . . . This letter must have been pretty extravagant to prompt LSAC to call the sender.

I was wondering that made them call your recommender...

Seconded, I am curious as well.

I don't think an appeal by the recommender is going to help tbh.  It is understood that a percentage of recs are actually written by the student, because recommenders are lazy shites.  But to write your own and then sign it yourself...  If you get accepted to ANY school, I will honestly be surprised.

I can not say I want to wish you luck, but I do feel really bad for what was obviously a huge error in judgment.

LSN
- 3.1 / 162

Accepted: UF, FSU, Rutgers-Camden(10k + T-Shirt!), Penn State, Temple, American, UPitt, Villanova
W/L: GMU, W&L, W&M
Ding: NONE!

iamluke20

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2009, 09:27:51 AM »

LOL!!! I know this is not a funny topic but OP must have really went all out on that letter! So funny to me. I doubt they call many of the reccomenders.  This letter must have been something crazy.

WheelsUp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2009, 10:47:19 AM »
Here's another question along this line of thought. I'm applying for a 1L summer internship. I have an older LOR from a former boss of mine with whom I've since lost contact. What are your opinions on taking the old LOR, not changing a single word of it (save for the name of the position sought), and sending it off. Please note that I have NOT done this. But I'm contemplating it since it's a great LOR and I don't have contact with the guy anymore.

TTom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2009, 10:59:53 AM »
Here's another question along this line of thought. I'm applying for a 1L summer internship. I have an older LOR from a former boss of mine with whom I've since lost contact. What are your opinions on taking the old LOR, not changing a single word of it (save for the name of the position sought), and sending it off. Please note that I have NOT done this. But I'm contemplating it since it's a great LOR and I don't have contact with the guy anymore.

I think it depends on the context of how you received the letter. If your old boss said, "You did such great work that I'd like to give you a LOR in .pdf format that you can use in the future..." Then it would be acceptable.

This does not sound like your situation. Either contact him and ask permission, or don't use it. Otherwise you're asking for a world of hurt. 

WheelsUp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2009, 11:06:39 AM »
TTom, I'm afraid you're right. This former boss is really relaxed, and I know he wouldn't care. It'll just be a pain for both him and me, b/c I've got to find his contact info again and he'll have to sign it. Lol, but it's not worth the risk.

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2009, 11:07:53 AM »
You weren't thinking about signing his name on it were you?
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

csi

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2009, 05:39:34 PM »
I'm a 0L so you can take my comment as you will, but Nola even IF your acceptances still stand I would seriously take some time to contemplate how badly you want to practice law.

You could be spending three years of your life, working like a dog, come out with a mountain of debt and fail to pass the bar. From what I have read on this forum, even the smallest of fabrications on law app seem to haunt ppl years down the line when it comes to passing the bar. Your situation is obviously much more serious with clear intent so do you want to take on that risk?

Good luck. I do hope things work out for you. Even though this is one event and does probably is the tip of the iceberg to the rest of your character, people do make mistakes. As long as you learn from it and take the consequences then all is good.

TTom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2009, 09:22:58 PM »
I'm a 0L so you can take my comment as you will, but Nola even IF your acceptances still stand I would seriously take some time to contemplate how badly you want to practice law.

You could be spending three years of your life, working like a dog, come out with a mountain of debt and fail to pass the bar. From what I have read on this forum, even the smallest of fabrications on law app seem to haunt ppl years down the line when it comes to passing the bar. Your situation is obviously much more serious with clear intent so do you want to take on that risk?

Good luck. I do hope things work out for you. Even though this is one event and does probably is the tip of the iceberg to the rest of your character, people do make mistakes. As long as you learn from it and take the consequences then all is good.

You're incredibly nice, CSI. I'm not quite sure though why you'd really wish nola luck. Do we really want people like nola in the profession? Let's get beyond the fact that what nola did was incredibly dishonest, unethical, etc... It's just plain horrible judgment. It's a malpractice suit and disbarment just waiting to happen.

TTom

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2009, 12:47:22 AM »
I wasnt trying to be deceitful.

???

Isn't that exactly what you were trying to do?