Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Prep Class  (Read 2191 times)

lawschool0192

• View Profile
Prep Class
« on: February 17, 2009, 02:35:46 PM »
Is it hard to take prep classes?

mdbutler71

• View Profile
Re: Canceling Kaplan and going with Princeton Review AND Powerscore?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 02:58:05 PM »
I can only speak about powerscore because I took the full-length class.

I could not image a situation where you would need MORE than what the powerscore class offers.  For me, the amount of study material offered was huge, and I had little or no time to do anything else but study.   

lawschool0192

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 03:07:34 PM »
hard

lawschool0192

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 03:09:42 PM »
this would be too hard

mdbutler71

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 05:11:18 PM »
It's not about the actual "in" class time, but rather, it's about the study time for every hour of class time.  I'd guess I spent 5-8 hours studying for every class hours.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 08:42:19 PM »
Whoever is going to be strongest will depend almost entirely on the instructor.  That being said, just pick ONE course.  I have had really bad results when students try to learn to attack the test using two different methods at the same time.  Don't do it!

tbj2102

• View Profile
    • Commentary and Criticism on Everything
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 09:26:38 PM »
Please have pity on your future PowerScore instructor and do not take the Princeton Review course.

I have been teaching and tutoring students for 3 years now after having received a 180 on the Dec 2005 LSAT-- the last year through PowerScore.  I can't tell you how many students have come to my classes or had me for tutoring after having taken a Princeton Review or Kaplan course and finding it worse than useless.  These students always struggle 10x harder to understand things than the ones who are starting fresh.

If you want my opinion, you are better off reading the PowerScore Bibles and working through their material before taking the course if you are going to do any LSAT-specific work. 

However, I think it would be even more beneficial to work through the material in a book entitled Rex Barks, which is somewhat hard to find in bookstores but which you can order on Amazon or from the publisher, since I have found that 70% of the confusion in my students comes from them not understanding how words in sentences logically relate to one another.
Retired LSAT teacher

js11287

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 08:28:08 PM »
I'm currently going to school in upstate New York, where there are no PowerScore classes. I really want to take a prep course to make sure that I reinforce my studying with some sort of structure and guidance; does anybody have a recommendation as to whether I should go for Kaplan or PR? Thanks

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 09:27:58 PM »
I'm currently going to school in upstate New York, where there are no PowerScore classes. I really want to take a prep course to make sure that I reinforce my studying with some sort of structure and guidance; does anybody have a recommendation as to whether I should go for Kaplan or PR? Thanks

I taught for TPR and I like the hyperlearning curriculum.  I don't know jack about Kaplan's course.  BUT, until you interview whomever is teaching them you might as well flip a coin.  Teachers make classes.  Brands don't.

DerekShiHarvard

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 06:58:29 PM »
I am going to say what has been said: go with one, two are overkill. Powerscore wins over Princeton Review.
Links:
PowerScore Bibles
Law School Numbers
LSAT Proctor DVD

The shadow proves the sunshine - press on fellow applicants!