Law School Discussion

Goldman Sachs

Goldman Sachs
« on: February 16, 2009, 05:45:47 PM »
How much would an undergrad internship, and hopefully a few years of experience, at Goldman Sachs help my chances of getting into Harvard/Columbia/NYU Law?

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: Goldman Sachs
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 05:52:43 PM »
It would make very little difference for getting into law school. Enough years experience (past the entry level analyst job) might help applying to law firms come recruiting time.

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 06:07:18 PM »
What kind of internship is it?

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 07:36:26 PM »
Internal auditing, which works very close with the legal department from what I understand.

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 09:22:34 PM »
Don't think it'll make a difference.  IBD/S&T/Quant would probably look good but only because they're relatively difficult internships to get.

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 07:23:54 PM »
Your particular internship won't make a difference. The more competitive ones (invest. banking etc.) would, however, make a big difference at yale/stanford. Harvard/Columbia/NYU, no.

sheltron5000

• All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 10:16:40 AM »
a few years of work experience might help you at northwestern ;)

even more importantly, they might help you keep from paying through the nose to go to law school

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 07:19:57 AM »
How much would an undergrad internship, and hopefully a few years of experience, at Goldman Sachs help my chances of getting into Harvard/Columbia/NYU Law?

It's a nice soft factor, but it won't help a great deal. If your LSAT is not adequate, it won't matter at all.

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 09:46:21 AM »

I actually think that securing an internship (and especially a full-time job) at Goldman in this market would be quite impressive. I currently work at an investment bank on Wall Street and while my GPA from undergrad is very good, my LSAT score was on the lower end of the 25-75% range for Harvard and 50%-ish for Columbia/NYU . I feel that my experience in banking, the fact that I still have a job, an offer to stay longer, and the ability to speak to my experience was definitely a positive factor.

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 10:34:59 AM »

I actually think that securing an internship (and especially a full-time job) at Goldman in this market would be quite impressive. I currently work at an investment bank on Wall Street and while my GPA from undergrad is very good, my LSAT score was on the lower end of the 25-75% range for Harvard and 50%-ish for Columbia/NYU . I feel that my experience in banking, the fact that I still have a job, an offer to stay longer, and the ability to speak to my experience was definitely a positive factor.

Yea, but this dude is talking about a back office position, which is not prestigious.

If he had been talking about landing a front office position in PWM, IBD, or Quant, then it would probably make a difference.

Ok I can agree with that. Still though, if the job has rigorous hours (I am not sure about this particular position) but as an Investment Banker, working 80-100 hours a week was helpful as evidence of work ethic. So if this internship is comparable in terms of hourly commitment, that may say something.