Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Goldman Sachs  (Read 1624 times)

marsilni

• View Profile
Goldman Sachs
« on: February 16, 2009, 07:45:47 PM »
How much would an undergrad internship, and hopefully a few years of experience, at Goldman Sachs help my chances of getting into Harvard/Columbia/NYU Law?

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: Goldman Sachs
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 07:52:43 PM »
It would make very little difference for getting into law school. Enough years experience (past the entry level analyst job) might help applying to law firms come recruiting time.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Startin Up Soon!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 08:07:18 PM »
What kind of internship is it?

marsilni

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 09:36:26 PM »
Internal auditing, which works very close with the legal department from what I understand.

Startin Up Soon!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 11:22:34 PM »
Don't think it'll make a difference.  IBD/S&T/Quant would probably look good but only because they're relatively difficult internships to get.

musil.the.muse

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 09:23:54 PM »
Your particular internship won't make a difference. The more competitive ones (invest. banking etc.) would, however, make a big difference at yale/stanford. Harvard/Columbia/NYU, no.

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 12:16:40 PM »
a few years of work experience might help you at northwestern ;)

even more importantly, they might help you keep from paying through the nose to go to law school
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

remiz22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 09:19:57 AM »
How much would an undergrad internship, and hopefully a few years of experience, at Goldman Sachs help my chances of getting into Harvard/Columbia/NYU Law?

It's a nice soft factor, but it won't help a great deal. If your LSAT is not adequate, it won't matter at all.

AlwaysRunning

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 11:46:21 AM »

I actually think that securing an internship (and especially a full-time job) at Goldman in this market would be quite impressive. I currently work at an investment bank on Wall Street and while my GPA from undergrad is very good, my LSAT score was on the lower end of the 25-75% range for Harvard and 50%-ish for Columbia/NYU . I feel that my experience in banking, the fact that I still have a job, an offer to stay longer, and the ability to speak to my experience was definitely a positive factor.

AlwaysRunning

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 12:34:59 PM »

I actually think that securing an internship (and especially a full-time job) at Goldman in this market would be quite impressive. I currently work at an investment bank on Wall Street and while my GPA from undergrad is very good, my LSAT score was on the lower end of the 25-75% range for Harvard and 50%-ish for Columbia/NYU . I feel that my experience in banking, the fact that I still have a job, an offer to stay longer, and the ability to speak to my experience was definitely a positive factor.

Yea, but this dude is talking about a back office position, which is not prestigious.

If he had been talking about landing a front office position in PWM, IBD, or Quant, then it would probably make a difference.

Ok I can agree with that. Still though, if the job has rigorous hours (I am not sure about this particular position) but as an Investment Banker, working 80-100 hours a week was helpful as evidence of work ethic. So if this internship is comparable in terms of hourly commitment, that may say something.