Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: letter asking for an interview  (Read 10315 times)

aldiinfo

letter asking for an interview
« on: February 16, 2009, 06:54:38 PM »
ALL,

I WAS HOPING YOU COULD REVIEW MY LETTER ASKING FOR AN INTERVIEW WITH A PARTICULAR LAW SCHOOL (MY FIRST CHOICE). 

ANY SUGGESTIONS ABOUT THE LETTER ITSELF... OR ACTUALLY DOING AN INTERVIEW, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. 

THANKS! NICK

Dear Sir or Madam,

Through my search for a law school that provided the best mutual fit, I tried to learn as much as I could about the law schools in the northeast.  Luckily, while I started volunteering for a crisis center last August, I met a University of xxx School of Law alumni, Mr. XXX XXX.  Mr. XXX was able to provide me with invaluable information about your school that I could not find in books or through Internet research. 

As I volunteered weekly with Mr. XXX, I could feel the energy and excitement he had for his alma mater.  He was able to describe his challenges, as well as the support the school and students provided to meet those challenges.  He described the classes, clinics, environment, core values, and just about everything else relating to the law school.  In addition, as someone interested in international law, he was able to provide me a first-hand account of the International and Comparative Law program because that was his concentration only a few years ago.  As we talked and got to know each other, I easily came to the conclusion that the University of XXXXX was my first choice for law school.   

Recently, I submitted my application to the University of XXXXX School of Law through the LSAC Website.  I am very excited about the prospect of becoming a student with the University of XXXXX and want to emphasize my strong desire to be a student at your University.  While the application itself can provide a good review of my qualifications, I welcome the opportunity for an in-person interview to further examine my skills, qualifications and dedication.

If you are willing to do an interview as an additional part of my application, I am available to meet with you at your convenience. 

Thank you very much for your consideration.

Very Respectfully,

AlisaGreenstein

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: letter asking for an interview
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 01:47:31 PM »
Hi Nick,

While it is terrific that you are this enthusiastic about attending law school, it is unclear to me why you need this letter or why you need to request an interview.  You are always free to visit the law school on your own accord or call ahead and arrange to meet with the dean or other faculty members or students if you have specific questions.  I think the letter is well written but I worry that it could potentially do more harm than good if the school doesn't understand why you are sending it.  If you have submitted a thorough application package, it should speak for itself.  After you are accepted, a lot of law schools have programs where admitted students can sit in on classes and meet faculty members and that might be your best bet.  Best of luck! 

Alisa Greenstein | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant | www.VeritasPrep.com/law