Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone else with so-so grades on Law Review?  (Read 1052 times)

pnglbz

• View Profile
Anyone else with so-so grades on Law Review?
« on: February 16, 2009, 12:47:25 PM »
Although my first year grades only placed me in the top third of my class, I was able to sneak onto the Law Review through the back door through the writing competition (only 4 out of 30+ slots are awarded this way while the rest require top 10%). While I expected Law Review to compensate for my so-so grades in my job search, I have not been able to find anything for this summer. Is anyone else in this position?  Is there any point of slaving away on Law Review (the work load is crushing) when it has not done anything for me? Any advice for converting my Law Review position into a job offer?

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else with so-so grades on Law Review?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 02:05:35 PM »
Really depends on your school rank.  Not uncommon this year at T25 back.

pnglbz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 02:40:31 PM »
My school is a New York school ranked in the mid 50's.

nbf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 02:42:23 PM »
Law Review is a great credential and definitely worth doing.

I know a lot of people on my Law Review who are also at the top of their class with no jobs, but you need to give yourself every leg up that you can in this economy.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 02:44:32 PM »
My school is a New York school ranked in the mid 50's.

If that's the case, I would be grateful to have a job even at number one.

pnglbz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 02:47:40 PM »
Actually everyone who graded onto the Law Review already has a Big Law job except for those who accepted jobs with firms that have since dissolved.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 03:30:59 PM »
Law review isn't a golden ticket into a job.  The entire package, including grades, still matters, and *not* having law review will often act as a disqualifier as firms use it as a quick and easy way to sort through resume.

And of course, your grades (which are good, but not great for BIG law) and your school's rank would have been hurdles for you in a normal economy.  I don't think it needs to be said that we are definitely not in a normal economy right now.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 03:44:33 PM »
If you're including your class rank or grades on your resume, you might want to leave them off.  Employers might assume you have higher grades if all they see is law review.  Then it's up to you to wow them in the interview.  Some people might disagree with this, so I'm not 100% sure if it's the right way to go.  It would depend how "good" top 1/3 is at your school.  But 50s in NY, I'd guess you might as well leave it off.

Also, just to be sure, you've applied to plenty of non-OCI jobs, right?

uh huh.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 11:39:58 AM »
If you're including your class rank or grades on your resume, you might want to leave them off.  Employers might assume you have higher grades if all they see is law review.  Then it's up to you to wow them in the interview.  Some people might disagree with this, so I'm not 100% sure if it's the right way to go.  It would depend how "good" top 1/3 is at your school.  But 50s in NY, I'd guess you might as well leave it off.

I also went to a non-T14 NY school, got on LR with good (but not spectacular) grades, and did exactly this upon the advice of my career center and other BigLaw mentors I talked to before OCI. It was a good move, and I received many OCI interviews that I do not believe I would have received with my grades alone.