Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Syracuse Law: Past, Present and Future  (Read 14170 times)

taxguy

• View Profile
Re: Syracuse Law: Past, Present and Future
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2010, 12:33:14 PM »
As an attorney, let me give you my perspective on Syracuse law School

First , it is overall a very decent law school. It has a fairly wide assortment of offerings and many seem quite good. It's student faculty ratio is  about 10.5/1, which is in accord with the best law schools. It has a fairly good reputation outside of Syracuse and even outside of NY.

HOWEVER: there are some drawbacks. First, it has one of the highest tuitions that I have seen in a law school at 44K in tution alone. Yes, they do give scholarships,however, keeping these scholarships is another thing. Grading for law schools , especially for those that want higher rankings, is very bad. The average  GPA can be under 2.5. Thus, keeping a scholarship is tough. If you lose it, you are stuck paying their outrageous tuition.

Secondly, I could justify the tuition if you had great job prospects. with big firms. Sadly, that is isn't the case either.

Finally, you are living in Syracuse. I can't think of a lot of worse places to live especially because of the weather. Imagine how cold you think Syracuse is and subtract 35 degrees.
My main quesiton is what does Syracuse have that other law schools of its caliber don't have? Why not Miami, which is about as hard for admission and $7,000 per year cheaper?

big east boy

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2010, 10:25:32 AM »
overall good post until you got to the weather. Look it up, Cuse has same weather as everywhere else in the northeast. It's not like when its 35 degrees in cuse its f-ing 50 in connecticut. If you are not from the northeast than I can understand a surprise at the weather, but I gotta laugh at kids from other northern states that think it cold in cuse just because someone told them to think so. Buncha f-ing suckers.

taxguy

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2010, 11:42:07 AM »
Hey, I have been in Syracuse in the winter. It is much colder than Long Island,where I was from. Now I live in the MidAtlantic. It is much colder than here too. Thus, I think warning kids from warm climates isn't a bad thing

big east boy

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2010, 12:12:33 PM »
did you go to syracuse?

taxguy

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2010, 12:15:35 PM »
No,but I get to travel to Syracuse once in a while for business and looked at the school for my daughter.  I really did like the school but HATED the area.

big east boy

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2010, 01:15:45 PM »
guess we will have to agree to disagree. I think the weather is standard for the region. as for the city, I found it had a lot of character and was a lot of fun.