Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Syracuse Law: Past, Present and Future  (Read 13830 times)

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Syracuse Law: Past, Present and Future
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 05:44:36 PM »
I'm with you Bogart, I was born in Up-State (Rochester) and lived  there for 11 years. I've been to Syracuse a few times, never to the LS, and I liked the city just fine. I've spent the last 4 years going to college in Michigan on the south shore of Lake Superior so all this business about terrible winters is laughable to me - we get all the snow with a lot more cold weather. I think at this point unless my top choice accepts me I'll be at SUCOL next year.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2009, 05:48:05 PM »
Like I said, it can be fine for a few months, or even a few years.  I love my friends and it is where I grew up, but there is a certain level of apathy that pervades the city.  I'm not the only person from Syracuse who thinks it sucks.  Almost everyone who lives here feels 'stuck' to a certain degree.  There is very little joi de vivre.

I hope you guys love it here.  Really the city probably needs more people that are happy about living here.  It is a city with some great history - I just wish it had more opportunities for its residents.  
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2009, 06:12:36 PM »
I understand what you mean, my home town is the same way. If I go hopefully I'll like it for the three years I'm there, if not, 60% of the grads don't even stay in NY so if I do hate it it's not like Im stuck in Syracuse.

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2009, 11:35:28 PM »
On a side note, does anyone know if they give travel stipends?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2009, 02:58:48 AM »
Hey, I can't really argue anecdotal evidence v. anecdotal evidence.  I just thought I would put my 2 cents out there as someone born and raised in Syracuse.

If you're from Syracuse than why do you dump on the city?  Jesus man, have some pride.  You only get one hometown and you should treat it with some respect even if it isn't what you think you deserve. 

If your city deserves dumping on, it deserves dumping on. The city that I'm basically from blows and I let people know about it.

I'd rather have an honest opinion than someone blowing smoke up my ass, personally.

Did you ever think that by consistently bombing your city you're not doing any good?  However I do agree that people can become frustrated by their hometowns.  I am from the downstate area but I have spent a lot of time with family in Central and Western NY and I don't see why people there are so agitated.  I mean, if you think Buff or Cuse suck than try living in some hick town for a while; than you'll be clamoring for one of these cities.  Plus large cities like NYC or Philly aren't all there made out to be, especially for future lawyers who have to work sick hours just to make rent.  A better idea, I think would be to handle your business upstate with the low col and take a few weekend trips to Manhattan to party.  This is my best of both worlds scenario.  Anyways, to those of you who want out of town I wish you luck in whatever school/city you chose.

Learn to quote correctly, then I'll bother reading your post.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

big east boy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2009, 08:18:57 PM »
Yawn.

BeauEnigma

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2009, 01:32:22 PM »

I don't believe they do offer travel stipends. Usually only community colleges and schools with a decent commuter population offer stipends. However, I think there is a way that you can be reimbursed on your taxes at the end of the year. When I lived in NYC, if you saved receipts and kept a log of the money you spent on tranportation to work or school, and it turned out to be over a certain amount, you were able to file for it. I am not 100% on exactly how this was done, but I remember getting papers about it every year at work and school. Either way it is probably worth calling Syracuse to find out. Perhaps they could give you a bit more financial aid to cover it. Where would you be commuting from?

big east boy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2009, 03:19:38 PM »
I know they reimburse for a one night hotel stay.  In their ASD brochure I believe they specify 5 hotels that are acceptable for this.  Of the 5 I hear the Sheraton is best because it is right on campus.

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2009, 03:34:28 PM »

I don't believe they do offer travel stipends. Usually only community colleges and schools with a decent commuter population offer stipends. However, I think there is a way that you can be reimbursed on your taxes at the end of the year. When I lived in NYC, if you saved receipts and kept a log of the money you spent on tranportation to work or school, and it turned out to be over a certain amount, you were able to file for it. I am not 100% on exactly how this was done, but I remember getting papers about it every year at work and school. Either way it is probably worth calling Syracuse to find out. Perhaps they could give you a bit more financial aid to cover it. Where would you be commuting from?

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I meant to visit the school for ASD etc.

BeauEnigma

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2009, 08:38:20 PM »

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I meant to visit the school for ASD etc.

Ah, okay. Sorry about that. According to the brochure, and the admissions office, they are reimbursing the hotel, but not the travel. You also have to be 150+ miles from the school... whether they verify that or not I don't know.