Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Syracuse Law: Past, Present and Future  (Read 14229 times)

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Syracuse Law: Past, Present and Future
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 09:51:33 PM »
Hey, I can't really argue anecdotal evidence v. anecdotal evidence.  I just thought I would put my 2 cents out there as someone born and raised in Syracuse.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

big east boy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 05:53:56 PM »
Hey, I can't really argue anecdotal evidence v. anecdotal evidence.  I just thought I would put my 2 cents out there as someone born and raised in Syracuse.

If you're from Syracuse than why do you dump on the city?  Jesus man, have some pride.  You only get one hometown and you should treat it with some respect even if it isn't what you think you deserve. 

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 06:49:51 PM »
I got accepted with a 26K per year scholarship today. I'm really considering going to SUCOL now.

big east boy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 07:07:03 PM »
I got accepted with a 26K per year scholarship today. I'm really considering going to SUCOL now.

What are the conditions of your scholarship?

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 07:13:47 PM »
2.80 but I haven't had a chance to see what their curve is which will have a big impact on how I weigh it.

Hamilcar77

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2009, 08:39:05 PM »

If you're from Syracuse than why do you dump on the city?  Jesus man, have some pride.  You only get one hometown and you should treat it with some respect even if it isn't what you think you deserve. 

?? Yea, it really sucks when people give their honest opinion...

BeauEnigma

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 12:18:25 AM »
First off, comotellamas, I can see why you would say what you've said about Syracuse. I am from Central NY, and I have to agree that growing up here really made me itchy and feel like I'd die if I didn't get out. Then I did, I went to NYC for 5 years and then overseas for a while. It took me a while, but coming back to it all now, after seeing other parts of the world. I don't think this area is quite the dump I used to. In fact I've grown to really love it. I do think that for some people used to a LOT of options at night, multiple choices in weekend activities and a speedy public this place may feel claustrophobic. However, what you do find up here is the ability to make a real community, for better or for worse, because you really get to know everyone around you. I think that can be incredibly comforting. Not to mention Syracuse is close to the Fingerlakes, and area that resembles California in the spring and summer with incredible wine, entertainment and unbelievable hiking trails. Not to mention to fall foliage. Although, again, I can see why for some people this area isn't a good fit, and the honest opinion to that affect is completely valid.

Now, it is interesting that someone mention the new library and the new funding being raised and put into the school. I too received a scholarship and it is one of the reasons I am so heavily considering Syracuse. However, I am a bit curious as to why, if all of this is happening, why are they not throwing it out all over their website. I've heard a few people talk about the new library and the large amount of money now being put into the budget, but I can't find a single word edgewise. It isn't even mentioned on their website. Am I not looking in the right place, or is there some reason why they wouldn't shout this kind of information out? Where have people been getting this information so far?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 11:25:11 AM »

If your city deserves dumping on, it deserves dumping on. The city that I'm basically from blows and I let people know about it.

I'd rather have an honest opinion than someone blowing smoke up my ass, personally.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

big east boy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 05:02:56 PM »

If your city deserves dumping on, it deserves dumping on. The city that I'm basically from blows and I let people know about it.

I'd rather have an honest opinion than someone blowing smoke up my ass, personally.

Did you ever think that by consistently bombing your city you're not doing any good?  However I do agree that people can become frustrated by their hometowns.  I am from the downstate area but I have spent a lot of time with family in Central and Western NY and I don't see why people there are so agitated.  I mean, if you think Buff or Cuse suck than try living in some hick town for a while; than you'll be clamoring for one of these cities.  Plus large cities like NYC or Philly aren't all there made out to be, especially for future lawyers who have to work sick hours just to make rent.  A better idea, I think would be to handle your business upstate with the low col and take a few weekend trips to Manhattan to party.  This is my best of both worlds scenario.  Anyways, to those of you who want out of town I wish you luck in whatever school/city you chose.

Bogart

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 05:23:34 PM »
Remarq, a 2.8 is about the middle of the class; I was told this by a 1L.  It appears extremely maintainable and is one of the reasons why I'm choosing Cuse over schools that offered me more but had stringent requirements to keep the money.  As for location, I certainly don't want to bash any one's opinion but for me, Syracuse will be a fine place to hang for the next three years.  I did a quick scan of the city and it had everything I needed; I liked the bars in armory square a lot.  It's in a county of about 450k people which isn't bad and definitely not overwhelming.  However I am not from the area so I can't speak as to how I would feel after growing up there.  Still, sometimes its the person and not the city if you know what I mean