Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Syracuse Law: Past, Present and Future  (Read 14384 times)

BeauEnigma

• View Profile
Syracuse Law: Past, Present and Future
« on: February 15, 2009, 11:56:37 PM »
Hello everyone!

I am an accepted student who is very interested in the College of Law at Syracuse. After doing some searches I understand that there is a lot of strong emotions (negative and some positive) regarding Syracuse University College of Law, as seen through posts on here and elsewhere. It seems as though there have been a lot of changes at the school throughout the past 40 years that have caused it's rankings to rise and fall dramatically and for their to be wide gaps in success of former students, as well as opinions. As I understand it, a lot of this has resulted from past Dean's, budgeting problems, and issues with the administrative staff responsible for job placement after graduation.

All of this said, I believe that it is time we opened a new discussion board on here for people to discuss this very issue... especially current administration and current students. I am NOT interested in what the school was like in the PAST, but am interested in knowing if they've begun to make amends with past issues and if the school is in fact (as rumors would have us believe) really tightening up to increase the experience of students and their academic environment, ensure the future of the College of Law as being just as highly esteemed as Syracuse University itself, and taking care of current students as well as alumni.

I like what I see at Syracuse, you just can't help but notice all of the dramatic things posted on here and other places about the college. So, here we go, lets have mature and undramatic discussion about how Syracuse is now, what changes are being made, and where the Deans and Faculty see the future of Syracuse College of Law.

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Syracuse Law: Past, Present and Future
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 06:40:48 PM »
I applied in late january after I saw the scholly money they were giving out on LSN for people with numbers similar to mine. I haven't heard back yet, but if they make a good offer I would def. consider it. I've never been to the law school, but I've heard that the facilities are really really bad.  I know they're looking at making some upgrades though. I would also guess that with the name rec and $ that Syrcause University has that the law school would be good if the University wanted to make it so. Also, I would guess that Joe Biden being VP helps. 

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 02:53:18 PM »
I thought the school looked just fine, other than the price tag, when I was applying. And they kicked me half tuition with decent terms, so that was nice.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 01:44:45 PM »
Have you ever been to Syracuse?  It's not a town you want to get stuck working in...
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

Crimson:devil(red)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 04:30:32 PM »
Have you ever been to Syracuse?  It's not a town you want to get stuck working in...

Seconded
Tulane Law School Class of 2012

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/crimsondevilred

big east boy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 03:20:45 PM »
First off for a midsize northern city Syracuse isn't bad.  It's not NYC or Boston but it has every thing you need from nightlife to entertainment, plus cost of living is low.  If you're from a big city or the beach it certainly might not be your cup of tea.  I have visited and I don't see why people bag on it so much.

As for the school they will begin construction on a new library either this spring or the next.  It's supposed to be state of the art and will make up for the lackluster library they have now.  As for rankings, they have insane money and judging by scholarship offers they are finally willing to through it around to get good students.  The school itself is in the process of a 1billion fundraising plan so expect more improvements. 

As for me the decision will come down to Syracuse, Hofstra, or Buffalo.  I'm leaning toward Syracuse because they are better regarded than the others.  Hope some of this helps

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 03:23:46 PM »
First off for a midsize northern city Syracuse isn't bad.  It's not NYC or Boston but it has every thing you need from nightlife to entertainment, plus cost of living is low.  If you're from a big city or the beach it certainly might not be your cup of tea.  I have visited and I don't see why people bag on it so much.

As for the school they will begin construction on a new library either this spring or the next.  It's supposed to be state of the art and will make up for the lackluster library they have now.  As for rankings, they have insane money and judging by scholarship offers they are finally willing to through it around to get good students.  The school itself is in the process of a 1billion fundraising plan so expect more improvements. 

As for me the decision will come down to Syracuse, Hofstra, or Buffalo.  I'm leaning toward Syracuse because they are better regarded than the others.  Hope some of this helps

Umm...I'm pretty sure Buffalo is more highly regarded in upstate.

At any rate, I've lived here for almost 20 years.  I think I can say with some authority that it blows here.  It's fine for a few months, or even a few years.  When you get sick of going to the same 8 bars and sick of the same dead economy, you'll want out as well.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

big east boy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 03:39:34 PM »
I strongly disagree.  I have not taken a survey of the NY legal world but the students and attorneys who I have spoken with put Syracuse ahead of Buffalo.  If you're unclear about this ask yourself a question: if Buffalo was 43k a year would anyone attend? answer--NO.  Many view it as a gimmick school that only draws applicants because of its cheap SUNY tuition.

Bogart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 03:58:27 PM »
I strongly disagree.  I have not taken a survey of the NY legal world but the students and attorneys who I have spoken with put Syracuse ahead of Buffalo.  If you're unclear about this ask yourself a question: if Buffalo was 43k a year would anyone attend? answer--NO.  Many view it as a gimmick school that only draws applicants because of its cheap SUNY tuition.

I second that point.  However cheap tuition is a good thing and maybe Syracuse could learn a lesson.  Either way I was accepted to both and will probably go with Syracuse.  For the record neither city bothers me but Buffalo gets extra points for larger population and 4am bar closing.  Also NFL football.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 10:27:31 PM »
Syracuse owns the *&^% out of Buffalo in all ways except tuition.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.