Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question from somebody in a rare position  (Read 2123 times)

The Artist

• Sr. Citizen
  • Admit it... you got Rick Rolled.
    • View Profile
Question from somebody in a rare position
« on: February 15, 2009, 04:00:49 AM »
Due to a minority program (I'm a minority, not an URM) at my law school (mid-T1 school in the Midwest) I was able to secure a SA position at a big firm in the Midwest this summer (the particular office I'm working at has over 200 attorneys and pays market to SA). I'm understandably happy and thankful for this opportunity. However, I can't help but look ahead and get a bit worried about 2L summer. My grades were not very good (below the median), and I have no desire to live in the Midwest after graduation (I'm from California and would like to return there). So while I might be able to bust my ass this summer and get an offer to return to THAT firm for 2L summer, I'm scared that all the California firms won't give me time of day, despite my work experience, simply because of my grades and school location.

Any advice? Other than obviously trying to improve my grades.

SEC_2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Question from somebody in a rare position
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 10:59:56 AM »
Well it sounds like you entered school with that problem. At least you have lucked out with this BigLaw 1L SA. If you want to go back to Cali I'd say your best course is to bust your ass this summer, try to pull your grades up this Spring and also hit up EVERY contact you have back home to start laying the groundwork for getting a job there next summer. Just saying you worked for BigLaw as  1L should impress some people especially if you have a common friend or a prior relationship with them.

Due to a minority program (I'm a minority, not an URM) at my law school (mid-T1 school in the Midwest) I was able to secure a SA position at a big firm in the Midwest this summer (the particular office I'm working at has over 200 attorneys and pays market to SA). I'm understandably happy and thankful for this opportunity. However, I can't help but look ahead and get a bit worried about 2L summer. My grades were not very good (below the median), and I have no desire to live in the Midwest after graduation (I'm from California and would like to return there). So while I might be able to bust my ass this summer and get an offer to return to THAT firm for 2L summer, I'm scared that all the California firms won't give me time of day, despite my work experience, simply because of my grades and school location.

Any advice? Other than obviously trying to improve my grades.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 08:18:15 PM »
Worrying won't change your position. Just get that offer this summer (which is more likely than not if they brought you in as a 1L) and do your best come fall. Nothing else to be done.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 07:35:23 PM »
unfortunately it is too late to give you the best advice: don't go to a school outside the top 20 if you aren't willing to practice in the region. Other than that, would you mind taking a non biglaw job?

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 11:07:27 PM »
oh, just to clarify, is the midwestern market that you are talking about working in Chicago? because if so you can work there for three years and look for a job in California