Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BLS Grad taking questions  (Read 4448 times)

cannotpick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: BLS Grad taking questions
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2009, 06:45:27 PM »
I was waitlisted about a month ago, and agreed to be considered for PT as well as FT.  Are there any disadvantages to going PT for the first year and transferring to the FT program?  Have you had any contact with students who transferred to FT after the first year? 

Also, any tips for getting off the waitlist?  I'm planning a LOCI and probably another recommendation.  I am visiting next week for a tour and plan to speak with someone in admissions.

Thanks in advance.
The only disadvantage of PT is that it might end up costing you a bit more money. I don't know how they structure the credits, but if I remember correctly, upon transferring to FT, the PT students had to pay to take 2 extra courses to catch up with the rest of us.

Otherwise, everyone that I know that was in PT & wanted to transfer to FT was able to do it after the first year. I'm not sure what's the best tactic to get off the waitlist, other than to make your sincere interest in BLS known to Admissions & emphasize that if you are give a FT offer, you will accept.
'08 graduate of Brooklyn Law

...The Dude abides...

jules82

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2009, 02:10:18 PM »
Hello cannotpick,  I've been reading through this thread and it is very informative and you give good insight on the BLS experience.  I am currently waiting to hear back from a few schools still and am on a few waitlists (Fordham and Columbia. I have been accepted to the FT program at Brooklyn Law School and St.John's.  I received about half tuition scholarship at BLS and a full scholarship at St. john's.. i have visited both schools at their admitted students day, and I liked the feel at both schools. I am having a hard time deciding.  Do you have any thoughts between these two schools?  I know BLS is higher ranked, but have heard that job placement is roughly the same.  I am not too familiar with Brooklyn or Queens.  I went to NYU for undergrad and have been living and working in Manhattan for the past few years.  I would most likely move to be near the school that I attend.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

barrygoodlife

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2009, 10:33:29 AM »
I checked with Student Accounts at Brooklyn. You don't pay extra--you just accelerate your payments so that you and FT students are now even up on tuition payments. Basically, except for personal expenses, and the time off the job market, a PT student and a FT student pay the same ammount for their degree. PT's do it over 4 years, FT's in 3. If you switch, up or down, Brooklyn adjusts the payments to maintain parity.

cannotpick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2009, 09:38:19 PM »
Hello cannotpick,  I've been reading through this thread and it is very informative and you give good insight on the BLS experience.  I am currently waiting to hear back from a few schools still and am on a few waitlists (Fordham and Columbia. I have been accepted to the FT program at Brooklyn Law School and St.John's.  I received about half tuition scholarship at BLS and a full scholarship at St. john's.. i have visited both schools at their admitted students day, and I liked the feel at both schools. I am having a hard time deciding.  Do you have any thoughts between these two schools?  I know BLS is higher ranked, but have heard that job placement is roughly the same.  I am not too familiar with Brooklyn or Queens.  I went to NYU for undergrad and have been living and working in Manhattan for the past few years.  I would most likely move to be near the school that I attend.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
I honestly doubt that the employment stats are similar. To the extent that they are, I suspect that it is St. Johns fudging their numbers. I know some people at St. Johns and, despite solid class ranks, few of them seem to have jobs comparable to those of BLS students ranked around the same range. Obviously, if you get into Columbia, go there. I didn't bother applying to St. Johns because I knew it was lower ranked than what I was willing to consider. Ultimately, I took 1/2 tuition at BLS over no scholarship at Fordham and have never regretted the move.

...The Dude abides...

cannotpick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2009, 09:41:04 PM »
I checked with Student Accounts at Brooklyn. You don't pay extra--you just accelerate your payments so that you and FT students are now even up on tuition payments. Basically, except for personal expenses, and the time off the job market, a PT student and a FT student pay the same ammount for their degree. PT's do it over 4 years, FT's in 3. If you switch, up or down, Brooklyn adjusts the payments to maintain parity.
Good to know! Thanks for the info!

...The Dude abides...