Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why is it worth it to transfer if..  (Read 1117 times)

win45

• View Profile
Why is it worth it to transfer if..
« on: February 14, 2009, 04:43:08 PM »
Hi all,

Is it worth it to transfer when you are close to the top of your class at a t1 or t2?

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Why is it worth it to transfer if your at the top
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 05:46:41 PM »
because median at some schools have better job prospects than near the top of the class at other schools.

i don't think that qualifies as a tip.

And they teach you the difference between your and you're

Dongo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Why is it worth it to transfer if your at the top
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 10:51:13 PM »
law555, I've actually been thinking the same thing and see your point.  Being at the top is definitely something I'd like.  It's the one thing keeping me from fully going ahead with the transfer. 

4.0 at your school is likely close to the very top, and I would probably stay since job prospects will be unbelievable, maybe even better than when you transfer and drop in GPA...just my 2 cents

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Why is it worth it to transfer if..
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 09:11:29 AM »
law555, I've actually been thinking the same thing and see your point.  Being at the top is definitely something I'd like.  It's the one thing keeping me from fully going ahead with the transfer. 

4.0 at your school is likely close to the very top, and I would probably stay since job prospects will be unbelievable, maybe even better than when you transfer and drop in GPA...just my 2 cents

I disagree. Yes, you are the top of your class and will probably do just fine. However, going to a T10 school (or likely a T5 in your case) will pay off in both the short term and long term. Employers at OCI will still see your 1st year grades and know that you rocked it. On top of that, they will be more inclined to hire you because they know you rocked the 1st year and they get to put the better school's name on their website. I also have a hard time believing that a school in the 40's will afford better opportunities in the long term. If you ever want to teach or clerk or go into politics or anything that requires a prestigious degree, then you will be much better off.

Now, I'm not advocating transferring w/o even thinking about it. It will depend on your career goals, how much you like your current school, how much of a scholarship you have, where you want to work, etc.

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Why is it worth it to transfer if..
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 09:17:05 AM »
being at top of your school at a tier 2 is a situation that may or may not persist.

being at a top school is a situation that almost certainly will persist.

just something else to take into consideration.

I concur. Plus, having a top 10 school name on your resume will get you in the door far more than having the Tier 2 school on there.