Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is getting a bachelors degree even worth it anymore?  (Read 2754 times)

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Is getting a bachelors degree even worth it anymore?
« on: February 14, 2009, 03:00:00 PM »
Is getting a bachelors degree worth it these days? I mean, unless you graduate with a 3.9 and are the editor of your student newspaper youíre screwed!
Most of my friends who didnít have 3.9ís or edit the newspaper donít have jobs. They got degrees in English, Psychology, Biology, etc. and now they all owe $30-40K and have no job or even job offers. They were suckered in by admissions counselors who made up salary information like Ďyouíll make a million dollars more over the course of your life.í It was all a lie. Most of them have had to move back in with their parents!  Those of you who are thinking about going to a non-Ivy undergrad should really think twice. Unless your parents are paying for it, you are going take a lot of debt with virtually no chance at landing a meaningful job after graduation.
Think carefully before you commit to getting a non-Ivy bachelors degree. If you donít believe me checkout what the people at UgradUnderground.com are saying.  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Disclaimer: this is a joke; I just think the parallels are kind of funny.     

SEC_2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Is getting a bachelors degree even worth it anymore?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 03:08:59 PM »
Well played...

Is getting a bachelors degree worth it these days? I mean, unless you graduate with a 3.9 and are the editor of your student newspaper youíre screwed!
Most of my friends who didnít have 3.9ís or edit the newspaper donít have jobs. They got degrees in English, Psychology, Biology, etc. and now they all owe $30-40K and have no job or even job offers. They were suckered in by admissions counselors who made up salary information like Ďyouíll make a million dollars more over the course of your life.í It was all a lie. Most of them have had to move back in with their parents!  Those of you who are thinking about going to a non-Ivy undergrad should really think twice. Unless your parents are paying for it, you are going take a lot of debt with virtually no chance at landing a meaningful job after graduation.
Think carefully before you commit to getting a non-Ivy bachelors degree. If you donít believe me checkout what the people at UgradUnderground.com are saying.  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Disclaimer: this is joke; I just think the parallels are kind of funny.     

iamluke20

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 04:06:31 PM »

Disclaimer: this is a joke; I just think the parallels are kind of funny.     

+1
LOL!

zippyandzap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Clint Dempsey FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 05:26:57 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V122ICNS8_0

*for the record, i take no position on this question.  i merely point out that others have asked this question in a non-joking manner.

:lol:  In other words, going to Crap U or getting an esoteric bachelor's may not be worth it...

They say a bachelor's is the new high school diploma... wouldn't that suggest that people should graduate from college just as they should have graduated from high school a few decades back, and that if you want to be particularly successful you should go to grad school?

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 05:54:49 PM »

*for the record, i take no position on this question.  i merely point out that others have asked this question in a non-joking manner.

:lol:  In other words, going to Crap U or getting an esoteric bachelor's may not be worth it...

If someone can't get into HYP, "Crap U" is the college people should be going to, so long as it is a cheap state school or community college.

I went to Crap U cheap state school and I worked as a paralegal for a few years.  The paralegal in the office next to me was a Harvard grad.

I think the main points were a) you can go to vocational school and still make a good living, and b) don't take on a bunch of debt for an expensive undergrad.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 06:05:06 PM »

If someone can't get into HYP, "Crap U" is the college people should be going to, so long as it is a cheap state school or community college.

I went to Crap U cheap state school and I worked as a paralegal for a few years.  The paralegal in the office next to me was a Harvard grad.

I think the main points were a) you can go to vocational school and still make a good living, and b) don't take on a bunch of debt for an expensive undergrad.

your paralegals had OFFICES?

whoa.
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 06:09:20 PM »

your paralegals had OFFICES?

whoa.

I'm sorry.  I misspoke.  The Harvard grad had an office.  My workstation was made out of empty boxes, and I was sodomized at least once a day.

SamE397

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 06:24:13 PM »

I think there's actually a fair amount of logic behind his points; even though his presentation is over the top to say the least. Also, if he was really curious about whether or not a college degree pays off he should have spoke to people in their 30-40s not 20s.

Furthermore, I would love to ask Stossel if he thinks that he could have got the job he did without a Princeton degree.

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 06:33:56 PM »
I've always thought that most people don't belong in college. They treat it like vocational/trade school, and it's not. They don't do that in Europe. I went to college because I like learning, and I knew that whatever I ended up in: teaching/research/proffessional degree I would NEED a degree.

If you don't NEED a degree to do something that makes you happy, don't go to college. And stop dumbing it down for the rest of us. sheeesh.

PS: same thing seems to be true for law school. It is not a trade school for lawyers.
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

zippyandzap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Clint Dempsey FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 06:41:53 PM »

Right but you're going to law school.  I went to a pretty good   undergrad and am earning barely any money.  I didn't mean to put down lousy undergrads.  I was referring to people who only go to undergrad and major in something that doesn't make them too employable.  I, for example, have zero skills.  I would imagine that if you have this type of major it is especially difficult if you attended a weaker school.  I am only in the work force for 7 or so months so I couldn't do too serious of a job search, so I realize that I haven't truly realized the reach of my degree, but still, I have no skills.

As far as your state school, maybe we're jaded by the t14 or bust talk around here, but the state schools in my state aren't bad at all.  Private schools that put kids 150k in debt and provide poor opportunities are more what I meant by Crap U.  Looking back I realize my post sounded way more elitist than I intended, and I did not do a sufficient job of explaining myself.  I'm a little elitist, but hell, not THAT elitist  ;)