Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: In at Colorado... and SHOCKED  (Read 1455 times)

iamluke20

• View Profile
In at Colorado... and SHOCKED
« on: February 13, 2009, 05:02:35 PM »
I was accepted at Colorado this week and I still can't beleive it.  I was a long shot numbers wise. 158/3.66

Hope this doesn't come off as trying to brag, just wanted to give some hope to folks who are waiting to hear back from reach schools.

I think it helped that I am a CO resident, but who knows?

Next question, can I justify going anywhere else?  I'm in at Denver and Miami and I think I may get in at ASU (50/50) and UNLV. 

Thoughts?

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: In at Colorado... and SHOCKED
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 08:36:20 PM »
Go to UC man.  Congrats!
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

summerisnear

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 08:55:08 PM »
First, congratulations.  Second, no, you really can't justify going anywhere else, in my opinion.  You will get in state tuition at a school ranked in the 30s, plus you will get to be in Boulder.  I went to CU for undergrad, and would have loved to have gone there for law school, but didn't get in.  I'm trying to transfer there for next year, I'm hoping my CO residency will still have some pull.

And yes, your residency surely played a big role in getting in, plus I imagine your softs were good (I had VERY similar numbers and didn't get in last year).  Just look through the applicants page on LSN for CU for this cycle and you'll see a ridiculous amount of people with numbers like 3.5/166 getting rejected from CU this year.  It's pretty crazy.  Personally, I think CU is trying to make a play to move up the rankings, lots of people with stellar numbers are getting dinged this year. 

Again, congratulations, as a CO resident you already know how great CU law school is, and as a fellow CO resident I'll be the first to tell you that you'd be crazy to go anywhere else ;)  I will now stop fluffing the greatest school in the world...

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 09:49:08 PM »
Matthies is going to chime in with a DU plug any minute now...

But I say go to Colorado (just to spite him). In any event, that's awesome. I only wish GULC could get relocated to Boulder.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

summerisnear

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 09:55:28 PM »
Matthies is going to chime in with a DU plug any minute now...

But I say go to Colorado (just to spite him). In any event, that's awesome. I only wish GULC could get relocated to Boulder.

DU over CU?  not in a million years.  in state tuition at CU is like 13 grand less than DU, and CU is about 55 spots higher in the ranking.  ranking isn't everything, but cost-wise it's a no-brainer, and i have to assume the faculty at CU is superior to DU.  the ONLY advantage i've heard DU has is its proximity to downtown Denver, but if you're that concerned with that, you could easily live in denver and commute to boulder.  get a good location in Denver and you can make it to Boulder in under 30 minutes. 

all just my opinion of course, which i admit is heavily biased as I am a CU grad and i think the world of CU, their law school, and boulder.  but DU is $35k a year, and has a crummy bar passage rate.

oh, and boulder is much better for walking around and oggling hot undergrad girls.  these are the things to consider when choosing schools.

iamluke20

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 10:09:05 PM »

So true about the girls, I have spent a little time in Boulder and its very nice "scenery"

Thanks for the replies guys! This is basically what I was thinking, but I appreciate the input from some LSD'ers.