Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Grades Dropped For Lack Of Participation?  (Read 1426 times)

canlaw18

• View Profile
Grades Dropped For Lack Of Participation?
« on: February 13, 2009, 04:46:41 PM »
A few of my professors claim that they will drop a students final grade for lack of participation. I'm starting to get a little worried. I come to class prepared but I'm kind of shy and only speak when called on, which is no more than once or twice a semester.  Is it just a bluff or will they really drop my grades?

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Grades Dropped For Lack Of Participation?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 04:50:13 PM »
My professors make this claim as well but normally this means if you don't show up to class or when you are called on you say "pass" one too many times.

lyre

• brightly burns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 05:29:43 PM »
I think as long as you speak when you are called on you're fine.  If they expected you to talk more, they'd call on you more.

ferbear

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 07:38:11 PM »
This happened to me -- or, more aptly, the professor warned that he valued regular class participation. I got in the game when called on and once or twice apart from that, wrote the best exam, and got an A-. I think he curved the exams to A- and only upped those who participated a ton, but still.
'10

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 09:46:08 PM »
I've had a couple of profs disingenuously claim that not participating would not drop your grade, but tacked participation points to your raw test score- therefore changing your place on the curve. Theoretically, if you were on a grade border, you could get edged out by a person with a lower exam score but better participation.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 03:27:12 AM »
It's all based on perception, unless this prof is the type to make a mark next to your name on the seating chart when you speak.  If he is NOT this type, just stopping by office hours once or twice should do the trick.  If he DOES keep a record, you should force yourself to raise your hand every once in a while. 

Maybe it will matter, maybe it won't--but grades are too important to take a chance.
I am officially a law school graduate : )

rj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 10:44:24 AM »
If he is NOT this type, just stopping by office hours once or twice should do the trick. 

I've never had a prof give credit for stopping by office hours!  For real.

M_Cool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 11:52:12 AM »
I tend to think that profs who make this claim are just blowing smoke most of the time (even the one's who keep track via seating chart).  I'm sure every once in a while there is someone who actually means it, though.

willametterules

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 12:54:14 PM »
Last semester I had a prof bump grades 10% if you signed in as "prepared" all but six classes of the term. Problem was the class was gunner central and 95% fulfilled this requirement.  Class had to be curved to a 3.0, so the participation was worthless, it just narrowed the curve.

;;;;;

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 01:17:06 PM »
I talked like crazy in my torts class and I got a B+ on the exam and he bumped me up to an A-, which means I probably edged someone out who did better than I did on the test.

Just talk. What do you have to lose?  You know the material and therefore the answers to questions.  Just throw your hand up!
"Don't read what they write about you, just measure it in inches."  Andy Warhol