Law School Discussion

Univ of Illinois, Univ of Colorado, Univ of Washington, UNC

Univ of Illinois, Univ of Colorado, Univ of Washington, UNC
« on: February 13, 2009, 12:50:58 PM »
Need some advice... Money is a big factor for me in choosing a school. I'm also interested in public interest law, so that matters too.

I'm already in at Univ of Illinois, but their out-of-state tuition is $36,000 and it looks difficult to get in-state after first year.

Univ of Colorado and Univ of Washington look like they have more lenient residency rules- I could possible get in-state tuition after first year. However, they are more regional than Illinois and ranked a bit lower (rankings rankings..).

Also trying to decide if it's worth spending another $65 applying to Univ of North Carolina.. Might be possible to get in-state after first year, but even if not, the out-of-state tution is lots cheaper than Univ Illinois at $27,858. Again, ranked a bit lower than Illinois (38 vs 27).

Advice?

Re: Univ of Illinois, Univ of Colorado, Univ of Washington, UNC
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 02:05:48 PM »
I agree with previous poster about regions. Beyond that I think that Colorado is the best place to live among them.  Boulder is gorgeous.

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 01:33:35 PM »
Residency after year one at CU is almost guaranteed.

Speedzie

• Illinois College of Law - 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 02:28:04 PM »
Agreed on in-state at CU being guaranteed after a year - I did grad school there.  In-state is basically impossible at U of I, unless you pull something crazy like get married.

That said, boulder is beautiful, but it's full of balls to the walls crazy as drugged out hippies.  If you dig that stuff, you'll love it.  I wouldn't be getting good grades there though, mtns = skiing for me.  Though i'll be there for spring break =)

Visit the schools, see what's your thing.

As to the $65,..  are you kidding?  Law school costs like a hundred grand or more, why would you worry about $65 on a question that could determine your road of life?

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 06:44:28 PM »
You can guarantee yourself in-state tuition after 1 year at UW if you make sure to establish residency as soon as you arrive (a couple people had some problems with this last year, but it was because they didn't understand the process until it was too late).  UW is a great place for public interest as well - ranked as one of the top public interest schools in the nation (http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/cypress/prelaw-fall-08/#/28).  CU is a great school as well.  I did my undergrad in Boulder and it was a great place to go to school.  I think UW and CU are pretty comparable as to price, so I would say go where you would like to practice for a couple of years when you get out.  And why not apply to UNC - unless adding another school would make your choice too difficult.

Ninja1

• ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 12:50:02 PM »
North Carolina

Ill/UW

Colorado (unless you have ambitions to be in Colorado and the surrounding states, then elevate accordingly).

In that order.