Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Good grades/what to do  (Read 3063 times)

win45

• View Profile
Good grades/what to do
« on: February 12, 2009, 06:29:23 PM »
Am I a fool if I take a non-paying job this summer or should I be using decent grades to my advantage, work my connections and try to get biglaw or at least a small to mid SA gig.  Or is it too hard with the economy now.  Thanks for the advice!

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Top person in class/what to do
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 06:41:39 PM »
A fool, certainly not. I assume you are a 1L and it may be hard for you to find a paying gig b/c of the economy. Also, if your at a lower ranked school, it will be even more difficult. It is hard to find a job out there right now. The most important thing you can do is to get experience your 1L summer. If you know what type of law you want to practice, volunteering in that field will help you find a paying job your 2L summer in that field. If you can find a paying job, good for you. If not, you are certainly not a fool.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 09:28:03 PM »
Even top students might get shutout.  Apply everywhere, see what options present themselves.

lyre

• brightly burns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 05:34:02 PM »
Talk to some 2Ls at your school to find out where they worked during 1L, that will give you an idea of who hires 1Ls from your school.  You could also talk to Career Services, they will probably have a good idea as well.

I'd just take whatever job you're most interested in.  If you need money, try to find a paying gig.  But if you're interested in doing a volunteer job, just do it.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 08:11:16 PM »
I got a 4.0 first semester (top student, no A-) from a 40-50 t1.and my question is am I a fool if I take a non-paying job this summer or should I be using these grades to my advantage, work my connections and try to get biglaw or at least a small to mid SA gig.  Or is it too hard with the economy now.  Thanks for the advice!

Have you considered transferring?  If you can pull the same feat off second semester, you can likely transfer to a T20.  It's just something to consider..
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

Bob Loblaw Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 09:54:14 PM »
I got a 4.0 first semester (top student, no A-) from a 40-50 t1.and my question is am I a fool if I take a non-paying job this summer or should I be using these grades to my advantage, work my connections and try to get biglaw or at least a small to mid SA gig.  Or is it too hard with the economy now.  Thanks for the advice!

Have you considered transferring?  If you can pull the same feat off second semester, you can likely transfer to a T20.  It's just something to consider..

t20? if you're pulling a 4.0 after this semester too you should be applying to HYS.

M_Cool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 02:38:35 PM »
Do you have spring OCI?  Seems like the #1 student would have a decent shot of getting something from OCI. 

no634

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • No 634
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 05:44:25 PM »
Even top student might get shutout.  Apply everywhere, see what options present themselves.

Second.

And if you really want the corporate experience, see if you can sign up for a corporate externship through your school.