Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Loyola Marymount or University of San Diego with $?  (Read 1605 times)

jroc1111

• View Profile
    • Email
Loyola Marymount or University of San Diego with $?
« on: February 12, 2009, 05:18:29 PM »

I recently was accepted to both schools and am about 51/49 leaning towards Loyola, even though USD offered me 18k per year (I am hoping to use USD's offer to squeeze some money out of Loyola...thoughts/suggestions about how to do that?). I am planning on visiting both schools next month to try and help make my decision but I am hoping to get some input from all of you legal eagles first.

Where would you go? Why?

Some other info about me: I don't really have much of an idea what sort of law I would like to practice but I plan on working extremely hard while in school. Job placement is important; I will NEED a well paying job once I graduate to start paying off my massive debt.

Thanks for the help!

20caliguy

• View Profile
Re: Loyola Marymount or University of San Diego with $?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 10:32:23 PM »
I would go to Loyola. San Diego, from what I'm told, is strictly a San Diego school.If you want to  practice in San Diego then go to USD. A friend of mine went to USD and she is now an employment lawyer doing pretty well...she opened her own firm in SD. Also, USD is a pretty conservative school...just keep that in mind. My friend didn't realize that until she attended and said it was difficult to engage in class discussion because the majority of the class was conservative and she is liberal (she said they would gang up on her). Loyola has lots of ties with LA employers and many successful litigators have come out of Loyola. I think the name recognition in LA is much better for Loyola than USD. So it all depends on where you want to practice. Loyola if you want LA, or USD if you want to work in San Diego. 

econtutorNV

• Sr. Citizen
  • Watch your ankles
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 01:19:02 PM »
USD is the best school in their market, contrast with Loyola which has USC, UCLA, soon to be UC-I, and Pepperdine to compete with. Their placement is roughly equal but coming out, worst case, with even 18K less debt (I'm assuming there is a requirement to keep the scholarship) is going to make a difference in your loan payments.

If you really, really want to work in LA when you're done then Loyola, otherwise I see no reason not to go to San Diego instead.
UGPA-3.33 LSAT-164

In- Tulane ($$), Baylor, USD, Santa Clara ($), IU-B ($), Loyola
Out-Minnesota. UIUC
WL-Notre Dame, Hastings
Pending- Emory, WUSTL, W & L, Davis, GULC PT, GMU, GW PT, UC-I (gotta dream, right?)

one4theteam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 01:52:51 PM »
Wihtout a doubt, I'd say Loyola.  You prefaced your original post with your emphasis on placement and salary.  Given that you do very well at Loyola (top 10%), you've got access to LA BigLaw.  All the big firms in LA recruit there.  Even if you don't do top 10%, you'll still have access to LA midlaw - which will put you at roughly the same salary scale as USD grads and get you closer to lateraling into LA BigLaw if you are so inclined later down the road.

True, SD grads do well because they are the only competition in town, but SD is not that big of a town.  $18,000 a year now could be penny wise and pound foolish.  I agree with the poster above who said that there will probably be an academic requirement for you to maintain your scholly, but I disagree that $18,000 will make THAT big of a dent in your loan payments.  USD's tuition is probably $36,000 or $37,000 by now I'm guessing.  Coupled with living expenses you'll still be looking at definitely more $1,000/mo monthly installments unless you want to take the extended 25 year repayment option.  If you had a fully scholly and didn't voice the concerns that you did that would be different.

And yes, USD is very conservative.  USD is also filled with a lot of spoiled brats who don't care what kind of job placement or salary they get, because Mom and Dad are footing the bill.  Alright, so I chip on my shoulder against those types.  I go to a similar school, and trust me, its not very inspiring to be around people who aren't similarly motivated because they're in law school since they can afford "to figure out what they want to do with their lives."

If only I did better in undergrad, Loyola could have been an option!  Go Loyola.  Much better long term investment.

Davis1L

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 11:36:54 AM »
Just e-mail Loyola admissions about your scholarship. That's how I got them to up it from 15k to 20k after I told them about a 14k scholarship I had from Santa Clara that was edging me to go there (although I had ZERO intention of going to SC).

Just make sure to emphasize how you really want to attend Loyola, but the financial constraints and the other scholarship are making it very difficult. Usually they are very accommodating. Plus, Loyola's scholarships are really generous, only have to be in the top 2/3 to retain them.

jroc1111

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 01:51:06 AM »
Thank you for all of the input.

USD offered me 18k per year, contingent on me staying in the top third of my class throughout my law school career (so 54k total if I hit the books hard enough). To not have to worry about paying off 54k is pretty enticing, so if Loyola can't offer me any money this choice is going to be even tougher.

I am a bit concerned with a few of you mentioning that USD was ultra conservative (I did my undergrad at UC Santa Cruz, not exactly a bastion of conservative thought) and that the students there are spoiled (but maybe that will work in my favor? Easier to get into the top of my class if I'm surrounded by a lot of kids who don't really care to be there? Just a thought...).

My next plan is to visit both schools, hopefully get a feel for them, ask some questions, beg Loyola for money, etc.

Thanks again for all your help. Feel free to add anything else and I'll try and keep this updated once I visit the schools or if I have any more specific questions. 

wyatth

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 01:05:19 PM »
Would you be willing to share your GPA/LSAT?
I plan on applying to both of these schools. Thanks!

jroc1111

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 08:49:55 PM »
Would you be willing to share your GPA/LSAT?
I plan on applying to both of these schools. Thanks!

GPA from UCSC of 3.76 with a Legal Studies major and Education minor
LSAT: 157 and 160

I finished undergrad in '06 and have worked some odd jobs, mostly legal and education related, and just returned from 6 months of traveling and teaching English as a foreign language (Ala this article http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2009/01/11/120-taking-a-year-off/ ). Oh, and I'm white male. That's pretty much everything about me! Hope that helps!

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 11:47:52 AM »
I would not go to USD.  In fact, I did not go to USD.  USD's a good school, definitely, and it has a good success rate for local placement. 

That said, it is an ultraconservative school, with an even more conservative undergrad student body.  The facilities are starting to show their age.  The architecture on campus is beautiful, so that's nice.  I'd also be concerned about the trends in numbers coming out of USD recently, check out the U.S. News rankings over the last few years.  Check out the bar passage rates.  USD 81%, Loyola 87%.  Heck, USD didn't even have the best passage rate in San Diego, Cal Western came in at 85%.

Not that bar passage rates are the be all end all, and I really don't care much for the US News Rankings, but when all the metrics of USD are southward bound (and the only thing south of San Diego is Mexico)...  I'd probably pick Loyola.

jroc1111

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 03:33:21 PM »
Just wanted to update anyone who cares...

I took the advice of a few of you on this thread and sent an email to Loyola's financial aid office about the possibility of offering me a scholarship. I wrote how I was worried about being able to afford law school tuition and how everywhere else I'd been accepted offered me some money--including 18k a year at USD--and how even though Loyola is my first choice it would be hard to pass up the possibility of 54k from a similarly ranked school.

THE VERY NEXT DAY...I received an email with an offer of 15k per year over three years contingent on keeping a 3.0 gpa!!! Great success!

Thanks again to everyone who replied to this thread. LA here I come...