Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Which schools give interviews? All? None?  (Read 455 times)

wyatth

• View Profile
    • Email
Which schools give interviews? All? None?
« on: February 12, 2009, 02:03:30 PM »
Hi all,
Hoping to apply next year to a few schools and I was wondering what the protocol is on interviews?
I know it's 50/50 for undergrad, fairly common for Dental, etc...  But I have not heard about interviews for LS.
I assume they'd be reserved for students "on the edge", which is where I am. I bet everyone says this, but I don't look so hot on the paper, and would do well at an interview.

Anyway, just wondering if this is a school-by-school case, or if there's general rule floating around. Thanks!

W

codyl

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Which schools give interviews? All? None?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 11:19:18 PM »
very rare to get interviews due to the large number of applications the schools receive.

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 07:05:20 AM »
Northwestern is about the only school where interviewing is common practice.  Vanderbilt makes them available to applicants and it's highly recommended that you do it.  However, it's not as necessary as at NU.  Besides that several other schools will request a phone or on-campus interview from a small group of applicants.  I believe Georgetown will ask for a phone interview and maybe Cornell will do an on-campus interview with local applicants. 

In short, interviews are fairly rare.  That said, if you apply to a school and then visit the place in order to sit in on a class and tour the campus; most of the time you will be granted a Q&A with an adcom.  Most schools explicitly state thaat this is only an info session and will not affect your application.  At many schools, you are being evaluated.  Thus, it is an unofficial interview.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 07:22:50 AM »
Northwestern is about the only school where interviewing is common practice.  Vanderbilt makes them available to applicants and it's highly recommended that you do it.  However, it's not as necessary as at NU.  Besides that several other schools will request a phone or on-campus interview from a small group of applicants.  I believe Georgetown will ask for a phone interview and maybe Cornell will do an on-campus interview with local applicants. 

In short, interviews are fairly rare.  That said, if you apply to a school and then visit the place in order to sit in on a class and tour the campus; most of the time you will be granted a Q&A with an adcom.  Most schools explicitly state thaat this is only an info session and will not affect your application.  At many schools, you are being evaluated.  Thus, it is an unofficial interview.

TITCR, at least for the T14/T15 (because of Vanderbilt). 
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.