Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Feelin dwon a bit --looking for non trad support  (Read 7091 times)

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
Re: Feelin dwon a bit --looking for non trad support
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2009, 10:58:13 PM »
Congratulations on the baby-on-the-way!

As far as encouragement - I'd just like to echo the words about baby's first year.  I'll be 30 when I start law school this coming year, and I have two kids.  I love 'em both to death, but I am glad that our youngest will be close to one year old by the time I start school.  Four years in, it's become obvious to me that parenthood will never be 'easy.'  It is certainly rewarding.  But the first year of a child's life can be particularly challenging, and your entire family will likely find itself in transition.  If you were to take on law school and new parenthood at the same time, you could easily end up shortchanging yourself, your family, and your legal education all at once.

So don't be discouraged.  This year's LSAT score may have put you in good position to get a great start on both parenthood and your legal career.

We had our first child at the end of my first semester. It was a very difficult period. While I cannot in good faith recommend doing it, our family is proof that it can be done. I graduated in May and as I study for the bar, our family is expecting a second child late in the fall. Good luck to all on the LSAT!

Oingo
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

jtgain

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2009, 04:00:26 PM »
For those of you that are currently working full time, but hope to go to law school how are you preparing for the LSAT?  I was out of work for a few months from back surgery, and I got the brilliant idea that I should go to law school.  I bought the Kaplan LSAT book, and started reading it and practicing.  Mind you, it was difficult since pain killers tend to make you sleepy, but I tried, and found I enjoyed taking the practice tests.  I never did get to the point of taking a real practice test with the set time limits, because I had to go back to work and haven't been back into my book since.  (that was 4 years ago!)

The desire is still there, although I've done a great job of convincing myself that I just need to stay in this job and pay my bills, and how will I do that if I'm in school?
So, I am ready to get the heck out of a job I hate and am back to thinking about Law school.

How are you guys studying if you are working full time, and have family obligations?

I have no children, only pets that require a lot of my time to expel their energy, and then I'm tired too.  I could make myself study for an hour or two every night, and I will once I finally make that decision this is what I'm meant to do. 

Any help on how you study for the test and work, and fulfill your family commitments is greatly appreciated!

I just got two hours less of sleep at night.  Seriously.  When I put my daughter to bed, then it was study time.  I took the LSAT in June and I am still catching up on my sleep.  Where there is a will, there is a way.

Secretary

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2009, 03:47:23 PM »
Hi!  New here.  I'm a non-trad., late 30s, married and no kids (none coming either!) and work full-time for lawyers.

I was set to take the June LSAT then realized I was so not ready and wanted the summer to study.

Now I'm thinking, boy summer was fun, but I'm still not ready!

I too get down, actually cried last night over some stupid logic game.  But then turned the page and the book said it was one of the hardest questions ever!

Anyway, my diagnostic was a 140, but it was off of a book that didn't use real LSAT questions, so I have no idea what my diagnostic really is.  I'm concentrating on the logic games as I got all of them wrong.  I'll take a practice test this Sunday.

So back to studying and working full-time.  I come home and study for about 2 hrs. every night.  My husband cooks.  I'm thinking of taking a day off though because 2 hrs. just isn't enough!

I'm also thinking I should wait until Dec.  I have about 11 days to decide as I'm registered for the Sept. LSAT but the deadline to postpone is 11 days.

JDWannaBeNC

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2009, 09:12:55 AM »
Hi Secretary, I'm taking the December one as well.  I have a tendency to under-study for standardized tests... of which, I've taken WAY too many in my day.  Even more as a post-grad...  GRE, GRE Subject test, pre-licensing exam, licensing exam, ugh... now the LSAT.  I haven't allowed myself to use scratch paper for any of the logic puzzles yet, so I'm getting frustrated when I "play" the logic games.  I'm doing everything I can to make it a billion times harder on myself so that the actual test will be a breeze.

To be honest, I've never fully studied for any other test before... beginning with AP exams in high school, I just sort of buy the books, glance at them the morning of the test, and wing it.  This one, though, I want to actually try on since my undergrad GPA was less than awesome.

Good luck to you. Keep your head up!!  If you start to feel down, just remember, your ugrad gpa HAS to be better than mine... so you're at least ahead of one person.  Be well.