Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Awkward Topic - Donating Money  (Read 1839 times)

GoGauchos

• View Profile
    • Email
Awkward Topic - Donating Money
« on: February 12, 2009, 11:09:25 AM »
I'm embarrassed to post this: would donating $20k to a law school in tier 2 or better make an impact on admission?

My LSAT is mid 160s but grades were poor in undergrad, I have strong work experience since undergrad.  Could that size of a donation buffer the poor GPA?

Thank you and please be gentle.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
Re: Awkward Topic - Donating Money
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 10:43:53 PM »
They are going to get you to "donate" $100K over the next three years anyway.  So, no, giving an extra $20K will likely not do anything. 

But I'm not an adcom, so do whatever you want.  Probably no one here can give you an informative answer.

SwampFox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 10:16:07 PM »
I would advise against it.  It could be interpreted as a bribe -- which, let's be frank, it certainly sounds like -- which could actually make some on the admissions committee question your character fitness.
Judging from what I see on the LSAC UGPA guide and Lawschoolnumbers.com, having those kind of numbers should still get you into many tier 2's...even without a little donation.

contrarian

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 01:45:06 PM »
I'm embarrassed to post this: would donating $20k to a law school in tier 2 or better make an impact on admission?

My LSAT is mid 160s but grades were poor in undergrad, I have strong work experience since undergrad.  Could that size of a donation buffer the poor GPA?

Thank you and please be gentle.

If you've been out for a few years and have solid career experience, then your undergrad grades will mean considerably less.  And a mid-160 is good enough to get you into Tier 2 schools.  I speak from first-hand knowledge.

You might be better off speaking with an admissions person, and letting them know you have cash and are willing to pay full tuition.   That alone, given the current economic climate, might help sway them significantly.   

Netopalis

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - troop85eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 09:00:45 PM »
If donating the money to a particular school would get you admission, you need to think long and hard about whether or not you want to trust your legal education with that school.
Mercer University School of Law '12

GoGauchos

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 10:41:20 PM »
I appreciate the responses.  As I said initially, I was hesitant to even ask this question.  It was something that briefly crossed my mind because we have the ability.  However, after some consideration (including your responses) I've decided that it just wouldn't be right.  Here's to an anxious subsequent couple of months.

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 11:18:16 PM »
You could donate $20k to me and I wouldn't hold your GPA against you!  ;)