Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: US Attorney's Office  (Read 8272 times)

bdiz

• View Profile
US Attorney's Office
« on: February 11, 2009, 04:12:11 PM »
Anyone else going to a US Attorney's office?  I'll be at one this summer and, while I know that it may differ dramatically by location, I am wondering if anyone has a good handle on what to expect, generally?

Thanks!

b ;)

jalex519

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: US Attorney's Office
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 07:59:58 PM »
What was the selection process like? I've applied to two districts and the DOJ's Antitrust Division, but haven't heard back from any of them yet.
2L and counting...

pecan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 05:27:38 PM »
how long after your inerview did you hear back?

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 06:43:29 PM »
Little work, lots of sitting in court.

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 02:22:41 PM »
What was the selection process like? I've applied to two districts and the DOJ's Antitrust Division, but haven't heard back from any of them yet.

Me neither.  Sigh.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

DirkDiggler

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 08:57:36 PM »
Two weeks after interviewing they told me interviews had concluded and I was still being considered. I received an offer approx. two weeks later.

It's a work-study position with a desired 12-month commitment. I'm a 1L.

What should I expect?

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 10:06:57 PM »
Just got an externship for fall semester with a US Attorney office! (like an internship, but for class credit)

Let us know what the summer is like...!
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

DirkDiggler

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 11:03:12 PM »
Congrats, Lovebutton.

The summer's first six weeks:
Positive --  there's an unending work supply so I can take on as much as I can handle. 
Negative -- little to no feedback on written work.

A positive or negative, depending on your perspective: I've done little to no work on the investigative side.  Everything is strictly research, legal analysis, and writing.

This evidently changes when you complete 50 hrs (I believe) of legal coursework.  You then become eligible to go into court, at which point you'll get more involved with investigations.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 07:28:58 AM »
Congrats, Lovebutton.

The summer's first six weeks:
Positive --  there's an unending work supply so I can take on as much as I can handle. 
Negative -- little to no feedback on written work.

A positive or negative, depending on your perspective: I've done little to no work on the investigative side.  Everything is strictly research, legal analysis, and writing.

This evidently changes when you complete 50 hrs (I believe) of legal coursework.  You then become eligible to go into court, at which point you'll get more involved with investigations.

Re: your negative, don't be afraid to ASK for feedback.  I've seen so many people, myself included, afraid or hesitant to ask their supervisors for feedback for a variety  of reasons, when in most cases, supervisors are happy to take a few minutes to give some kind of feedback if they're reminded to do it.

happycamper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 02:21:58 PM »
Re: your negative, don't be afraid to ASK for feedback.  I've seen so many people, myself included, afraid or hesitant to ask their supervisors for feedback for a variety  of reasons, when in most cases, supervisors are happy to take a few minutes to give some kind of feedback if they're reminded to do it.

What are those reasons exactly? I've always been someone who asked for feedback, so is it really that intimidating in that kind of setting?