Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Part Time and Jobs  (Read 1224 times)

kennedyposter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Part Time and Jobs
« on: February 11, 2009, 01:25:19 PM »
I am so confused as usual on where the hell I want to be come August. I got into American's PT program and I reallly want to go there. I would like to be in DC and it's my best option there with my numbers. To preface, I apologize for crowding the law student forum with a prelaw question, but I'm in the point of desperation. How screwed over will I be in the part time program when it comes to jobs? I want to switch over to full time but you have to wait until your second year and take summer sessions (or study abroads). Will I ever be able to get summer work? Has anyone had any experience with this sort of thing? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Part Time and Jobs
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 09:38:10 AM »
At GW people do it all the time.  In fact, you can switch after one semester (which annoys the hell out of those of us in the part-time program because we actually have careers).

I'd consider carefully whether American is worth your money.  It's expensive, and in a market where it has a ton of competition from other local and national schools.  In DC alone GULC and GW are ahead of it, with GMU on the same level.  It's not going to be a pretty OCI experience unless you transfer out (as some of my friends did).

Stole Your Nose!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 09:55:50 AM »
Despite the rankings, I have a hard time shaking the idea that American has more national cache. That said, people at GW have a chip on their shoulder about Gtown, and I can only imagine that it trickles down.  Plus, the law school classes in the market you are competing for are extremely large. And all of the big players have PT programs.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 09:57:45 AM »
I really think this "chip" from GW students is grossly overstated.  Sure, most of us didn't get into GULC, but nobody is bitter about it once we are here.  I have Biglaw, I'm happy with GW, and hell, it's in a much more convenient location.  Now if I didn't have a job would I be bitter?  Absolutely.  However, the fact of the matter is that GW's placement isn't much different than GULC's despite what people on these boards (most of which don't go to either) might think.

Stole Your Nose!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 10:01:07 AM »
Yeah, yeah - saw that coming. :) But I've talked to many a current and former GW student who do have "the chip."

Also, the fact that I have heard this stated (even unsolicited, and minus the "people on these boards" part) from a dozen GW law students is evidence to me of the chip:
the fact of the matter is that GW's placement isn't much different than GULC's despite what people on these boards (most of which don't go to either) might think.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 10:57:04 AM »
Yeah, yeah - saw that coming. :) But I've talked to many a current and former GW student who do have "the chip."

Also, the fact that I have heard this stated (even unsolicited, and minus the "people on these boards" part) from a dozen GW law students is evidence to me of the chip:
the fact of the matter is that GW's placement isn't much different than GULC's despite what people on these boards (most of which don't go to either) might think.

It doesn't give evidence of a chip, it gives evidence of annoyance.  Everyone I know has Biglaw lined up and I get tired of hearing how great GULC is when they don't do any better than us.  Every year GW's admission averages go up, while GULC's remain the same.  Give it 10 years and we will be on the same page, provided that US News gets rid of crap like "Library Volumes" in their ranking structure.

Regardless of others with the chip, I'm happy with GW.  It worked out just fine for me.  Do you attend GULC?