Law School Discussion

note taking?

note taking?
« on: February 10, 2009, 09:28:01 PM »
Hey everyone,

I'm just wondering in law school if people still take notes on paper or if everyone uses a laptop? I never felt the need to bring my laptop to class in undergrad, but then again I never really took great notes. I do sort of feel like I probably remember things better by physically writing them down though. Just wondering what everyones thoughts are on the subject

sheltron5000

• All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
Re: note taking?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 09:43:56 PM »
do what works for you, but using a computer will make it easier to compile an outline later.

Also, read one of the many, many books on how to succeed in law school, see the resources section.

SplorkyFish

• U Chicago 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 10:14:57 PM »

I tried writing things by hand at first, but it's a lot harder to then transcribe them into an outline.  But some people do.  Don't worry, nobody knows what's going on first quarter/semester, so experimentation is practically costless.

Kevin.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 12:41:43 PM »
The majority of students in my classes use laptops, which enable better note-taking, but which also facilitate a lot of distractions - like this, which I'm doing in the middle of class!  Some people take hand-written notes though, and one class last semester actually implemented a moratorium on laptops, and we managed to still make effective outlines.

Talk Is Cheap

• F*** the man, I'm the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 05:58:50 PM »
Everyone uses laptops.

You'll play a lot more online Tetris, but you'll also take much faster and efficient notes. And you can pull up material and reference back to older notes much easier.

Tetris

• Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 10:27:15 PM »
90% use a laptop.

My favorite strategy is to write on paper because (a) its so easy to type on a laptop that you tend to type EVERYTHING the professor says, which tends to mute the bigger points, (b) its WAY TOO easy to get distracted for 5 minutes here and there checking your email or the news when the lecture gets dull, and (c) writing on paper forces me to "retype" my notes in a boiled-down outline format throughout the semester.

sheltron5000

• All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 12:25:54 PM »
I feel like handwriting is going to be the best strategy for me, for all the reasons Tetris gave. The best part is, I can try one way for a week, then switch. I don't have to pick one for a whole semester! Choice is beautiful.

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 12:34:42 PM »
Almost everyone uses a laptop.

IMO having typed notes makes it much easier to outline. You can search + cut and paste that way.

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 08:20:37 AM »
As http://www.blackbooklegal.com discusses a lot of profs are banning comps in class...I think it's terribly unfair to xco that.

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 11:18:46 AM »
You can't play wow on your notepad...