Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: note taking?  (Read 1491 times)

dagreat1

• View Profile
note taking?
« on: February 10, 2009, 11:28:01 PM »
Hey everyone,

I'm just wondering in law school if people still take notes on paper or if everyone uses a laptop? I never felt the need to bring my laptop to class in undergrad, but then again I never really took great notes. I do sort of feel like I probably remember things better by physically writing them down though. Just wondering what everyones thoughts are on the subject
Rutgers Camden. 2012

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
Re: note taking?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 11:43:56 PM »
do what works for you, but using a computer will make it easier to compile an outline later.

Also, read one of the many, many books on how to succeed in law school, see the resources section.
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

SplorkyFish

• U Chicago 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 12:14:57 AM »

I tried writing things by hand at first, but it's a lot harder to then transcribe them into an outline.  But some people do.  Don't worry, nobody knows what's going on first quarter/semester, so experimentation is practically costless.

Kevin.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 02:41:43 PM »
The majority of students in my classes use laptops, which enable better note-taking, but which also facilitate a lot of distractions - like this, which I'm doing in the middle of class!  Some people take hand-written notes though, and one class last semester actually implemented a moratorium on laptops, and we managed to still make effective outlines.
Vandy Law 2011

Talk Is Cheap

• Sr. Citizen
  • F*** the man, I'm the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 07:58:50 PM »
Everyone uses laptops.

You'll play a lot more online Tetris, but you'll also take much faster and efficient notes. And you can pull up material and reference back to older notes much easier.

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 12:27:15 AM »
90% use a laptop.

My favorite strategy is to write on paper because (a) its so easy to type on a laptop that you tend to type EVERYTHING the professor says, which tends to mute the bigger points, (b) its WAY TOO easy to get distracted for 5 minutes here and there checking your email or the news when the lecture gets dull, and (c) writing on paper forces me to "retype" my notes in a boiled-down outline format throughout the semester.
_______
.|E|R|S.

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 02:25:54 PM »
I feel like handwriting is going to be the best strategy for me, for all the reasons Tetris gave. The best part is, I can try one way for a week, then switch. I don't have to pick one for a whole semester! Choice is beautiful.
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 02:34:42 PM »
Almost everyone uses a laptop.

IMO having typed notes makes it much easier to outline. You can search + cut and paste that way.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

exante1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 10:20:37 AM »
As http://www.blackbooklegal.com discusses a lot of profs are banning comps in class...I think it's terribly unfair to xco that.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 01:18:46 PM »
You can't play wow on your notepad...