Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Widener?  (Read 1401 times)

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Widener?
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 03:53:09 PM »
I've been accepted at Widener Harrisburg.  I understand they do pretty well in PA (probably less in the Philly and Pittsburgh markets than the rest of the state).  I don't really have anything to add, other than I'm going to consider all my options after I get responses to the schools I've applied to, and maybe I'll go part time so I don't accumulate debt during school.
Waiting until you have all of your decision to make a decision is a good idea; so is going part-time if you choose law school.

Also, do a brief search on martindale of law firms in south-central PA and the partners at those firms.  With all due respect, you won't see too may Widener grads.  That's just some friendly info, and I don't mean to demean Widener. I just want people to have all the information they need to make an informed choice.   

futurelawyergal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 04:07:48 PM »
I know a few successful Widener grads...one in a mid-size firm in Philly and another at a mid-size firm in Jersey. Both drive luxury vehicles and seem to be living the life. It is your decision but I wouldn't take Widener as a career death sentence. I would describe both as very driven, type-A's so I'm sure that helped them out a lot too.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 07:43:34 PM »
I know a few successful Widener grads...one in a mid-size firm in Philly and another at a mid-size firm in Jersey. Both drive luxury vehicles and seem to be living the life. It is your decision but I wouldn't take Widener as a career death sentence. I would describe both as very driven, type-A's so I'm sure that helped them out a lot too.

This is true that there ARE successful Widener grads, hence the reason why I mentioned that there aren't many Widener partners. 

Are there some?  Sure.  You'll find wildly successful attorneys from nearly any school. 

But the important question is what the odds are that this is going to happen.  If, for the sake of argument, only 1% of attorneys from a school "make it big," and the rest flounder, I wouldn't be pointing to the few who did well as strong evidence supporting my decision to attend a school.

Again, I'm not knocking Widener.  I'm not a "school snob" as many people are on here and other law school forums.  Widener is great for many people; for many people, though, it is not. But people need to realistically consider what they are getting themselves into. 

cpajd

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 09:23:46 AM »
I've been accepted at Widener Harrisburg.  I understand they do pretty well in PA (probably less in the Philly and Pittsburgh markets than the rest of the state).  I don't really have anything to add, other than I'm going to consider all my options after I get responses to the schools I've applied to, and maybe I'll go part time so I don't accumulate debt during school.
Waiting until you have all of your decision to make a decision is a good idea; so is going part-time if you choose law school.

Also, do a brief search on martindale of law firms in south-central PA and the partners at those firms.  With all due respect, you won't see too may Widener grads.  That's just some friendly info, and I don't mean to demean Widener. I just want people to have all the information they need to make an informed choice.   

Point well taken, and I will look at the Martindale info.  I think I understand where they fall in the general pecking order of PA area schools (you know, down the chain from the likes of  Penn State, Temple, Villanova etc).  As always, its what a student puts into it that probably decides how far they'll ultimately go, but the school is the initial door opener. 

As a safety school I've been accepted to Widener, but I've also put in apps in schools like Penn State and WVU, and we'll just see where it goes.     

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 04:01:35 PM »
Point well taken, and I will look at the Martindale info.  I think I understand where they fall in the general pecking order of PA area schools (you know, down the chain from the likes of  Penn State, Temple, Villanova etc).  As always, its what a student puts into it that probably decides how far they'll ultimately go, but the school is the initial door opener. 

As a safety school I've been accepted to Widener, but I've also put in apps in schools like Penn State and WVU, and we'll just see where it goes.     

Good!

I do want to mention, however, that you can't necessarily rely on hard work saving the day.  Many, if not most (I'd say most) people are hard-working.  One could argue that at a T4, they may be even *more* hard-working because they know that job prospects are slim-to-none at the bottom.  From this desperation comes the incentive to work.  (Of course, I'm just making a conjecture.  I could be wrong.)

Also, grades are arbitrary.  I'm not saying they're completely arbitrary.  The person who has a 4.0 would probably beat the guy with a 2.5 in grades 99% of the time.  But as you compare people closer on the continuum, this changes.  That means that your job employment opportunities could very well be determined by very minute differences on a 3 hour exam.

That's just something else to think about. 

Widener was also one of my safety schools.  And to be honest, if it was the only option I had, I probably would've taken it, because I am arguably a non-traditional student who knew that law school was "right" for him (as well as anyone can know that something is right for him/her, at least).  However, if they hadn't offered me a full ride, I wouldn't even have considered it, even if it was the only school that accepted me. That's just reality, unfortunately, based on debt and job prospects.