Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law school taking in transfer credits?  (Read 864 times)

lawschoolprospective

• View Profile
Law school taking in transfer credits?
« on: February 10, 2009, 02:14:19 PM »
Hey guys, I was wondering how law schools take into account grades you get from other schools besides your primary university. I took a summer course, and the credits transfer over to my transcript but not the actual letter grade. Also, I will be studying abroad for an entire year, those credits will all be transfer credits that do not count for my overall GPA. Will law schools take into account the actual grades of the transfer credits and calculate my overall GPA based on everything? If so how will that work?

willametterules

Re: Law school taking in transfer credits?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 03:39:36 PM »
Hey guys, I was wondering how law schools take into account grades you get from other schools besides your primary university. I took a summer course, and the credits transfer over to my transcript but not the actual letter grade. Also, I will be studying abroad for an entire year, those credits will all be transfer credits that do not count for my overall GPA. Will law schools take into account the actual grades of the transfer credits and calculate my overall GPA based on everything? If so how will that work?

I had grades from three schools, if there was a letter grade awarded, LSAC crunched it into my GPA for law schools to use.  P/NP and PF/credit courses were not part of the calculation

lawschoolprospective

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 08:42:39 PM »

I had grades from three schools, if there was a letter grade awarded, LSAC crunched it into my GPA for law schools to use.  P/NP and PF/credit courses were not part of the calculation

So even though it didn't count as GPA in your diploma granting institution, it was still calculated into your LSAC gpa regardless as long as there was some type of letter grade assigned?

willametterules

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 11:54:46 PM »

So even though it didn't count as GPA in your diploma granting institution, it was still calculated into your LSAC gpa regardless as long as there was some type of letter grade assigned?

In my case my diploma granting institution gpa was lower than the cummulative gpa calculated by LSAC.  I'd call LSAC and ask them your specifics, but you report all undergraduate work and provide transcripts for all undergraduate work to LSAC.  If you think about it, if it were any other way, people could manipulate their gpas and not give an adequate picture of their entire undergraduate work (leaving out bad grades etc).

AlisaGreenstein

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 04:21:17 PM »
Yes, the LSAC always takes into account all of your grades, including your transfer credits.  If you still have additional questions, feel free to contact me or someone at LSAC.  Good luck!

Alisa Greenstein | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant | www.VeritasPrep.com/law