Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How to dress like a law student  (Read 5998 times)

MuMuGuy

• View Profile
How to dress like a law student
« on: February 10, 2009, 11:12:25 AM »
What types of clothes should a law school student wear? Except for stuff I wear when exercising or special occasions, my wardrobe is all jeans, hiking boots, and button-down shirts (long sleeved). I imagine that I'll have to ditch the boots in favor of stuff like dress shoes, but would the button-down shirts and jeans be acceptable to wear to classes? How many suits should a law student own? I currently have 1 black suit and a charcoal colored suit.

Thanks

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How to dress like a law student
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 11:30:03 AM »
At first I thought this was a joke, but on second thought you are probably serious. 

Wear whatever you want to wear to class.  If you have an interview, a mock trial, or you are going out with profs or to represent your school, obviously put a little more thought into your outfit. 

You will either look like a total gunner, or a conservative fundamentalist, if you wear business casual to class. 
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 12:20:00 PM »
You only need one outfit:

Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

"That One"

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 01:35:49 PM »
You only need one outfit:

haha yes this is standard uniform.  Seriously though law students dress just like college students.  Wear whatever you feel comfortable in.  DO NOT wear suits every day...your peers will consider you a feminine hygiene product bag.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 01:38:34 PM »
for your first day in class i would recommend khaki shorts, black socks (with garters), and highly polished jungle boots.  wear a bush jacket and sport a pith helmet.  a monocle and swagger stick are perfect accessories.  get an undergrad to act as your sherpa and carry your books on his or her back.  they should call you "sahib" in a whiny voice and fetch you tea.

however, you should insist that the professors call you "colonel."  if called upon, sigh deeply, and in your best british accent tell a long unrelated story beginning with "when we were in innnnnndiaaaaaa......"  wave the swagger stick menacingly at anyone who tries to interrupt you.

if you can, get some classmates to clap and say "hear hear" after every time you speak.

this will make it certain you will be number one!   the offers will roll in!  you'll get in everywhere you apply!
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 01:52:24 PM »
for your first day in class i would recommend khaki shorts, black socks (with garters), and highly polished jungle boots.  wear a bush jacket and sport a pith helmet.  a monocle and swagger stick are perfect accessories.  get an undergrad to act as your sherpa and carry your books on his or her back.  they should call you "sahib" in a whiny voice and fetch you tea.

however, you should insist that the professors call you "colonel."  if called upon, sigh deeply, and in your best british accent tell a long unrelated story beginning with "when we were in innnnnndiaaaaaa......"  wave the swagger stick menacingly at anyone who tries to interrupt you.

if you can, get some classmates to clap and say "hear hear" after every time you speak.

this will make it certain you will be number one!   the offers will roll in!  you'll get in everywhere you apply!

I think you're in the wrong field.  That was hilarious!
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

willametterules

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 03:34:28 PM »
The first law school I attended was like high school, there was kind of a "hazing" during first week.  There were posters around the school talking about the first day tradition of wearing suits/ties/dresses, that could be traced to the founding of the school.

It was about 90 degrees with a 100% humidity that first day, it was kind of funny watching the 20 or so dumbasses that fell for the joke madly scramble to dress down in the locker room so as not to look foolish.

In general, dress tends to be "everyday student" on day 1, and declines all the way until finals (except for the above exceptions of representing your school/interviews/special on or off campus events)

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 04:48:42 PM »
My advice: look on ebay for a gently used blue suit.  All you need for interviews is one suit (should only wear blue or charcoal), but you might like to have a second suit just to switch it up or in case your suit gets rained on or something.

I asked one of the deans the same question when I was applying.  I wasnt sure what to wear.  People really do dress just like undergrad (flip flops, hoodies, shorts, gym clothes, etc.).  It really doesnt matter.  The only thing that I would advise it to dress nice for your picture since it will be on your seating chart all during law school and the professors will all see it and dress nice for the first day of class since everyone seems to do so anyway.  And, by nice, I mean simply a polo shirt or button up.  I think I did khaki shorts or nice jeans and a polo.  You will be fine. 

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 04:51:54 PM »

I don't see why you thought my post was made in jest. My money is a bit tight at the moment and I wanted to know if I needed to save up for some new clothes or suits. I at least knew not to wear suits everyday because wearing suits all the time would not only make me look like a pompous jackass, but the dry cleaning bill would be as much as my utility bills.

I've watched lots of videos on school websites. They show you people walking around the law school..and you can see what people are wearing. I would also suggest sitting in on a class if you can. If you were confused about what the dress code is, then I don't think you've done enough research on what you're getting yourself into. Not trying to be a (needle) prick on purpose. Just saying..
Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

MuMuGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 06:30:35 PM »
I've watched lots of videos on school websites. They show you people walking around the law school..and you can see what people are wearing. I would also suggest sitting in on a class if you can. If you were confused about what the dress code is, then I don't think you've done enough research on what you're getting yourself into. Not trying to be a (needle) prick on purpose. Just saying..

Don't worry about being a prick. I have a stiff upper lip and sensed no buttholery in your post. I watched videos and look at school publications, but I didn't want to make any assumptions based on just my legwork. I'm going to try to sit in on classes, but I'm a teacher so I won't really have time to do so until my Spring Break (1st week of April). Thank you for responding to my question.