Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 157/3.7 Chances  (Read 3803 times)

Lindali

• View Profile
    • Email
157/3.7 Chances
« on: February 10, 2009, 01:45:14 AM »
GPA: 3.7 (MSU, double-major, honors college)
LSAT: 157

URM Status: Native American

I have a feeling most people will tell me to retake the LSAT. I'm not planning on attending law school until fall 2010 (currently Americorps Vista volunteer), so it is a possibility. I took the LSAT last fall and was not happy with my score, but also not surprised. My pretests were in that range. I studied moderately but not as much as I would have liked. My concern is that, even if I retake the LSAT, my score might not improve that dramatically. That being said, I'm interested in knowing my chances at getting into law schools based on my current numbers.

As for location, I'm currently living in Chicago, but not opposed to relocating (would actually prefer it). I'd like to go to the best law school I can get into, but prefer big cities. I'm most interested in international law/human rights law. Any thoughts?

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: 157/3.7 Chances
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 10:18:31 AM »
My pretests were in that range. I studied moderately but not as much as I would have liked.

Unless you studied your brains out, you didn't max out your score. As a URM, something in the 160s range (that's just 4-5 more questions) will likely get you into one of the top schools.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Liberal-Texan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 11:45:04 AM »
My pretests were in that range. I studied moderately but not as much as I would have liked.

Unless you studied your brains out, you didn't max out your score. As a URM, something in the 160s range (that's just 4-5 more questions) will likely get you into one of the top schools.

I agree with the above and think that just a moderate amount of effort could get you into the 160 range and change your chances at a tier-1 school.

I am a URM, had slightly less numbers than you, and was able to get into Loyola-Chicago and Depaul. However, I wasn't able to get full-scholarship offers at the top-tier schools and wish that I would have gotten my LSAT above the 160 range.

I think you should definitely apply to all the Chicago schools if you are interested in that market, but with the realization that your 157 LSAT may not give you a competitive shot at U of Chicago or Northwestern. If you just want to roll with your current score, you will definitely be competitive at some of the other top tier schools in Chicago. But IMO, give the LSAT some more effort because you still have plenty of time and it could change your career outlook. Good luck!

Lindali

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 01:49:33 PM »
Thanks for your input!

This might be a stretch, but providing that I did get my LSAT in the 160's range, do you think I'd have the slightest chance at any of the T14? I think probably my best chance would be at U of Michigan. They sent me a fee waiver and I read on their website that about half of the people who receive fee waivers are accepted.

As for the Chicago schools, I'm definitely planning on applying to Loyola and Depaul. I think Northwestern and U of Chicago would be a stretch. Any thoughts on New York or California schools? UC Davis in California and Fordham in NYC are starting to look like they might be a good fit.

Are there any top schools that have reputations for not being as stingy on the LSAT?

Liberal-Texan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 02:19:16 PM »
I know a few URM's that got into UT within a 160-162 range. Texas usually requires a slightly lower LSAT than some of the other T-14's. But it is still difficult to get accepted; Your application/LOR's/Personal Statement/Diversity statement, etc. must be sparkling. And even after all of this, you will probably have no scholarship offers with a 160, even as a URM. But it's possible, so give it a shot, especially if you have fee waivers...

vila23

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 06:36:03 PM »
Your chances are as good as you think they are. I am also a URM and want to practice int'l human rights law. I got a 157 on my LSAT, was an honors college grad like yourself and had a 3.93 gpa. So far this cycle, I have been accepted into all of my top choices: UVA (75k scholarship), Cornell, GWU (105K scholarship), and Northwestern (along with some others) and waitlisted at GULC and UCLA. I spent too much time worrying about my chances and then just decided to send the best possible applications out....BUT if you are waiting until next year to apply, there is no reason not to take the LSAT again, with a higher score you'll have better chances of getting money...

Either way don't worry too much, I'm sure you'll get some great acceptances, provided you have a well-rounded application!

iahurricane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 07:50:37 PM »
Your chances are as good as you think they are. I am also a URM and want to practice int'l human rights law. I got a 157 on my LSAT, was an honors college grad like yourself and had a 3.93 gpa. So far this cycle, I have been accepted into all of my top choices: UVA (75k scholarship), Cornell, GWU (105K scholarship), and Northwestern (along with some others) and waitlisted at GULC and UCLA. I spent too much time worrying about my chances and then just decided to send the best possible applications out....BUT if you are waiting until next year to apply, there is no reason not to take the LSAT again, with a higher score you'll have better chances of getting money...

Either way don't worry too much, I'm sure you'll get some great acceptances, provided you have a well-rounded application!

wow, wish i was an "URM"...

HopefullyHarvard2011

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 12:20:29 AM »
That URM is such bull. I'm a second generation European (Italian/Ukrainan) - my family has probably been in this country less than most of the African-Americans/Hispanic population. Just because I look purely caucasion it's assumed my life has been easy street. Struggling to get into Harvard with a 175 LSAT & 3.67 UGPA from UofF... Your chance is greater than mine... All I have to say is - WOW!

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 12:38:20 AM »
That URM is such bull. I'm a second generation European (Italian/Ukrainan) - my family has probably been in this country less than most of the African-Americans/Hispanic population. Just because I look purely caucasion it's assumed my life has been easy street. Struggling to get into Harvard with a 175 LSAT & 3.67 UGPA from UofF... Your chance is greater than mine... All I have to say is - WOW!

Your personality makes it easy to root against you. Just so you know...
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

HopefullyHarvard2011

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 12:46:42 AM »
Nice guys finish last. I for one, think I will be a model lawyer.