Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How do I borrow money as an international student?  (Read 551 times)

hegel325

• View Profile
How do I borrow money as an international student?
« on: February 10, 2009, 12:07:49 AM »
Hi all,

I don't know whether anyone is in my situation. I am now an LLM student at a Top 10 law school and it seems like I am very hopeful to transfer to the JD program next year based on my grades of first semester. However I was told by the graduate office that now the most important thing I have to worry about is money... The only suggestion they have is to go for a private sector loan, which requires a cosigner-- but that is my last resort because asking any US citizen I know to do this favor for me is just sooooo HUGE! So I am wondering if you guys have any other suggestions? Or do you know any law school which still sponsors private loan program that doesn't need a co-signer? My school used to have one but it is ending with year...bad luck...

Thanks

"That One"

• View Profile
Re: How do I borrow money as an international student?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 01:03:38 AM »
that is pretty much your only choice.  There may be scholarships out there for you.  Good luck.

lyre

• brightly burns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 09:31:02 AM »
Could you get a loan from your home country?  I have a friend from Canada who has to take out Canadian loans and then transfer them here to America to pay her tuition.  The problem is that she always gets screwed on the exchange rate.  I guess it would just depend on the exchange rate with your home country if this would be a decent option for you or not.  I don't know much about it, I just know she's always complaining about the exchange rate.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 10:34:51 PM »
Do you have any assets you can use for collateral?  You might be able to persuade a bank to make a secured loan.  Do you have any credit already established here?

If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

Stole Your Nose!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 10:20:31 AM »
I can't imagine that anyone will be willing to co-sign a loan that you plan to pay off over 10 years in this economy.