Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Thinking Ahead: Considering Schools  (Read 905 times)

wyatth

• View Profile
    • Email
Thinking Ahead: Considering Schools
« on: February 09, 2009, 01:50:40 PM »
Hi everyone,
Long time lurker here but finally registered. Some great insight, so I thank you all for that.

I am currently in my final year of undergrad at UBC in Vancouver, Canada. I hope to take the next year off and live/work in China. Then I'll return to the US for Law School.

I am considering these 3 schools:
University of San Diego
Loyola Marymount University
University of Santa Clara
(As you can see, I would like to be in CA - too bad I don't have the grades for USC/UCLA/UC-Hastings, UC-B, etc. I might consider Pepperdine, but probably not.)

Anybody on here attend these? How do you like the campus - profs, fellow students, curriculum, overall environment?

My GPA in first 2 years was not so hot, it is better now but as you all know it is very hard to bring up an average. So my final question is this: How do you find out how each school weighs your GPA? Both in terms of GPA/year (all equal vs 3rd and 4th year weighed more), and compared to the LSAT (ie, 50% GPA/50% LSAT, or 60/40)?

Thanks a lot, looking to participate more on this board as I get closer to crunch time.
One last thing, might as well ask if there are any other members on here from UBC/Vancouver? Looking to take the TestMasters LSAT prep course this summer.

Cheers,
Wyatt

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking Ahead: Considering Schools
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 03:39:54 PM »
LSAT is more like 80/20. A good LSAT score will make all the difference. Study hard.

Frankly, I wouldn't even start considering what law school you want to go to until you get your LSAT score back.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

wyatth

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 04:00:18 PM »
That's actually some good advice.
I've only put those schools at the top of my consideration due to GPA (mine and their average), ranking, reputation (and recruiting) and locale.
But, my first 2 years had a really low GPA and my second two years should average at 3.6+. Not knowing how they calculate GPA and then weigh compared to LSAT leaves me rather clueless, I guess. :)

Thanks for the reply.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 05:22:38 PM »
LSAC just lumps it all together. You can go to their website and see how they calculate and see if it is the same. There is usually some GPA change from school GPA to LSAC GPA. Unfortunately, schools are not always understanding of people who get off to slow academic starts.

Just to put some perspective: A 2.8/180 could get you to some tip top schools. Maybe not Harvard, but definitely some strong programs. A 2.8/140 would not get you into any accredited U.S. law school (Even a 4.0/140 would be quite tough to get admitted anywhere).
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?