Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why'd you lock it, Wally??  (Read 674 times)

seatochitown

• View Profile
Why'd you lock it, Wally??
« on: February 08, 2009, 10:20:53 PM »
OK, people, tell me about this regional reporter thing. Yes, N.E.2d is the unofficial reporter for Illinois and Ill.App.3d is official, according to to this Northwestern webpage (http://www.law.northwestern.edu/library/research/illinoischicago/illinois/cases/). Thanks, Northwestern! But the Bluebook says to cite to N.E.2d, if therein (p. 207). I didn't get dinged for citing to N.E.2d on my first memo, so I don't think I'm going to go back through and change everything. But I want to be less confused.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Why'd you lock it, Wally??
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 10:25:11 PM »
OK, people, tell me about this regional reporter thing. Yes, N.E.2d is the unofficial reporter for Illinois and Ill.App.3d is official, according to to this Northwestern webpage (http://www.law.northwestern.edu/library/research/illinoischicago/illinois/cases/). Thanks, Northwestern! But the Bluebook says to cite to N.E.2d, if therein (p. 207). I didn't get dinged for citing to N.E.2d on my first memo, so I don't think I'm going to go back through and change everything. But I want to be less confused.

Oh, yeah, the Bluebook says that in every state, and I don't know why.  You obviously shouldn't get dinged for this if your professor never told you to use the official reporter, but use the official reporters (Ill. and Ill. App. [put a space between]) in practice. 
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 12:28:19 AM »
We were instructed to cite the first reporter listed for each jurisdiction.
_______
.|E|R|S.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 01:09:42 AM »
We were instructed to cite the first reporter listed for each jurisdiction.

Which should be the official reporter, no?
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.