Law School Discussion

How do I choose???

YouShouldFeelPrivileged

• Cornell University Law School Class of 2012
    • View Profile
Re: How do I choose???
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2009, 07:52:44 PM »
Wow...my thread kind of got hijacked, but it was an interesting conversation and I learned some important info amidst all the bickering.  Now, another twist:

I just got into Cornell, and I think I will at least merit some grant money from them.  Given the crap state of the economy should I go where I'm liable to get "some" kind of help, or still stick with Penn???

Thanks for all your comments!  :D

YouShouldFeelPrivileged

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2009, 07:56:12 PM »
Right. I'm quite confident that lawdog is just relatively unclever and messing around...but even if that's the case, spreading bad information (especially IN THIS ECONOMY OMFG!!!!ELEVEN!112312) is rather unhelpful.

So...for the record.

Congrats on your acceptance, bev! I, too, was totally caught off guard by a Penn acceptance when I was applying, and I was prepared to go to law school at the University of Minnesota (my home state) until I got the acceptance. Going to Penn was pretty easy choice for me. To be honest, I think if I had to make the choice now it would be a bit more difficult, but I do think that it would still be a good choice. Penn is a fantastic place to study and will open a lot of doors, and if you're looking for geographic flexibility and a corporate practice, a Penn degree can definitely give you that.

With respect to jobs being passed around on a silver platter...not exactly. Career prospects are certainly good. In a better economy, yes, many students had a lot of options to pick from. It's hard to say, though, what things are going to look like in the next few years. I know that there were several 3Ls who wanted a biglaw job and didn't have an offer at the beginning of the year (or didn't have an offer they wanted to accept), and weren't able to get one through 3L OCI - in years past it wasn't so difficult. Most of them now have a job of some sort lined up, although there are a few still looking. I also heard quite a bit about how 2Ls were struggling in OCI this year and morale was low, but I don't know how things ended up. And the job market is tough for our graduating public interest students who are now looking for jobs as well.

Nealric is right that "non-disclosed" (where the eff did that term come from?) OCI doesn't mean that any student can get any job s/he wants. Pretty much every employer will ask for a transcript when you get to the interview, and just having a screening interview is not, in most cases, going to get you a callback if you don't meet their standards. Is it a lot easier than at a lower-ranked school? Yes. Will a student with a B or B- average get any job they want? Definitely not. Barring complete economic collapse, though, s/he will probably have a job. (Also, it would be pretty hard to actually have a B- average...)

This is not intended to discourage you, of course...I would just hate to see someone choose Penn (and the debt that goes along with it) on false premises.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions about Penn, either here or via PM.

You say the decision would be more difficult if you had to do it again, how so???  I am also particularly interested in your opinion of the Penn v. Cornell situation I find myself in...
Thanks for posting such a nice response; feel free to PM me with your thoughts  :)

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2009, 10:38:20 PM »
I love it when you guys twist or exaggerate my words. That's pretty much all most of the people on this site are good for.

But, I sleep well knowing that I will be a kick-ass lawyer who will fully exploit your arrogance. You all think you know sooooo much. Ok, hot shots. I'll see you in court, or across the boardroom table.  ;)

The Black guy doesn't know anything. I'm just a dummy who likes to run his mouth. I have no experience. I don't know anybody. i have never seen or done anything.

I feel so sorry for you...just like the Assistant D.A. I creamed in court last year.

CTL

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2009, 05:38:29 AM »
Come to Cornell!

YouShouldFeelPrivileged

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2009, 05:53:27 AM »
Come to Cornell!

LoL

Cornell is attractive to me because I grew up in the Ohio countryside, went to UG at a private university in the burbs and don't really want to face adjusting to big city life and law school life all at once!  I hate the cities...they're dirty, smelly, over-crowded...I know if I manage BigLaw city life is probably inevitable, but I'd like to delay it as long as possible...and Ithaca is sooooo gorgeous  :D

« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2009, 06:01:13 AM »
I hate the cities...they're dirty, smelly, over-crowded...

awww come on, they're not all that bad! 

<---lifetime city-dweller.

cornell is, admittedly, really pretty.

« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2009, 07:09:17 AM »
I love it when you guys twist or exaggerate my words. That's pretty much all most of the people on this site are good for.

But, I sleep well knowing that I will be a kick-ass lawyer who will fully exploit your arrogance. You all think you know sooooo much. Ok, hot shots. I'll see you in court, or across the boardroom table.  ;)

The Black guy doesn't know anything. I'm just a dummy who likes to run his mouth. I have no experience. I don't know anybody. i have never seen or done anything.

I feel so sorry for you...just like the Assistant D.A. I creamed in court last year.

it's not the black guy; it's just you.  but good luck with everything, honestly.

Wow...my thread kind of got hijacked, but it was an interesting conversation and I learned some important info amidst all the bickering.  Now, another twist:

I just got into Cornell, and I think I will at least merit some grant money from them.  Given the crap state of the economy should I go where I'm liable to get "some" kind of help, or still stick with Penn???

Thanks for all your comments!  :D

hey so i've gone through a couple of name changes, but i'm one of the original people in this thread (i told you that i'd go with WUSTL).  i'd say that based on recruiting prospects, cornell would have to give you a pretty nice chunk of change in order to beat out penn, but that's based ONLY on recruiting prospects.  i think they're close enough that you should at least visit both schools and see how you feel about them.

I can believe that...in some cases.

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2009, 11:30:51 AM »

You say the decision would be more difficult if you had to do it again, how so???  I am also particularly interested in your opinion of the Penn v. Cornell situation I find myself in...
Thanks for posting such a nice response; feel free to PM me with your thoughts  :)

I think I'd be more reluctant to take on the debt in this economy - I'd probably spend a lot more time weighing the cost v. the opportunities. Given what you're looking to get out of law school, it still seems to me like Penn is your best choice right now. I agree with no, not really...see what kind of money you can get from Cornell and visit both schools if you can, and then revisit the question.

YouShouldFeelPrivileged

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2009, 12:44:59 PM »
I recently came across a post on a Penn law student's blog stating that Cornell is "the red-headed step-child of the Ivy League schools, the FedEx baby of the T14 and a wannabe T10," OUCH!

How do you guys feel about that categorization??  :-\

CTL

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2009, 12:53:57 PM »
I recently came across a post on a Penn law student's blog stating that Cornell is "the red-headed step-child of the Ivy League schools, the FedEx baby of the T14 and a wannabe T10," OUCH!

How do you guys feel about that categorization??  :-\

I feel that the Penn law student is just trying to lash out because Penn is the neglected middle child of the Ivy League schools, the FedEx baby of the T10 and a wannabe T5.

But seriously, yea Cornell is never going to compete with T5 schools, but it definitely has advantages over other bottom-half T14s.  Once you get to the bottom half of the T14s the disparity gap starts to shrink.  Schools start to become slightly more regional and you have to weigh them a little more carefully.  Would I take Penn over Cornell if I had applied and gotten in?  Maybe.  I don't know if I can answer this with an unequivocal 'yes' like I could if we were talking T5 though...

I mean not too long ago Penn and Cornell were very close in ranking (2000 had Cornell AHEAD of Penn).