Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transferring to Boalt?  (Read 468 times)

blueshampoo

• View Profile
Transferring to Boalt?
« on: February 08, 2009, 02:51:14 PM »
I was wondering if any current Boalt law students could held me out with this question.

I am a current 1L at a T10 law school similarly ranked. I was admitted to Boalt, and for financial reasons, chose to go elsewhere. I regret the decision every single day. I am still waiting on one of my first semester grades (grrr) but the other three are A, B+, B+. On Boalt's website, it states that they usually only accept transfer applicants who are in the top 3-5% of their class. Obviously, this is not me.

I had heard that in order to do a so-called "lateral transfer" from an equally good school, you only really have to be in the middle of the pack, as long as you have a compelling reason for wanting to transfer (I do). But maybe it is different for Boalt? I know they tend to do things their own way...

Any Boalt students who can offer advice on this?

dreameca

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Transferring to Boalt?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 06:00:41 AM »
I am an undergrad in berkeley, applying to law schools now. i major in legal studies and the program is taught by professors from Boalt. I asked Professor Hollinger about transferring, and she said its you cant really transfer unless you are a "star of the class". Its worth a try tho, especially if they accepted u in the beginning. goodluck!

BurtsBees

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 09:13:25 AM »
I am an undergrad in berkeley, applying to law schools now. i major in legal studies and the program is taught by professors from Boalt. I asked Professor Hollinger about transferring, and she said its you cant really transfer unless you are a "star of the class". Its worth a try tho, especially if they accepted u in the beginning. goodluck!

A typical transfer student is transferring to a better school, so perhaps that is the reason for the listed policy. 

Ostensibly, you would improve the law school since you are an above average student at a peer school. Why would they not want you to come to their school?

I have no idea - I'm just thinking out loud. Good luck to you!

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 10:39:22 AM »
I am a current boalt student, and I can tell you that I know a guy who transferred in from a peer school, and I'm pretty sure he was not top 5% or anything. I suspect you are in good shape for transferring, but we current students aren't going to be able to give you more than anecdotes like that one. I know there is a yahoo group on law school transfers, if you haven't checked that out already.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.