Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: "Lateral Transfer" to Boalt - possible?  (Read 674 times)

blueshampoo

• View Profile
"Lateral Transfer" to Boalt - possible?
« on: February 08, 2009, 02:48:06 PM »
I was wondering if any current Boalt law students could held me out with this question.

I am a current 1L at a T10 law school similarly ranked. I was admitted to Boalt, and for financial reasons, chose to go elsewhere. I regret the decision every single day. I am still waiting on one of my first semester grades (grrr) but the other three are A, B+, B+. On Boalt's website, it states that they usually only accept transfer applicants who are in the top 3-5% of their class. Obviously, this is not me.

I had heard that in order to do a so-called "lateral transfer" from an equally good school, you only really have to be in the middle of the pack, as long as you have a compelling reason for wanting to transfer (I do). But maybe it is different for Boalt? I know they tend to do things their own way...

Any Boalt students who can offer advice on this?

SumDood

• View Profile
Re: "Lateral Transfer" to Boalt - possible?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 03:08:38 PM »
What class rank is an A, B+, B+ at your school?

blueshampoo

• View Profile
Re: "Lateral Transfer" to Boalt - possible?
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 05:25:28 PM »
have no idea - figured I'd find out my class rank once I get the fourth grade I'm waiting on. But, we have either a B or a B+ curve, i.e. "C's" are discretionary, only 2-3 people get a C per course, so essentially the lowest grade is a "B -".

So yeah, I'll probably come out in the top half of the class but probably not the top quarter, not exactly solid transfer material i guess....